Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Rupert Young <ru...@liberty.nildram.co.uk> on 2004/06/12 13:40:15 UTC

RE: James as windows service

I am still having this problem. Can anyone elucidate on Roy's
resolution?
What is the file james.sar, how is it created?

Regards,
Rupert

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Rupert Young wrote:
> What is the file james.sar, how is it created? It seems to be used when
> James is run as a service. My config.xml is overwritten from it.

James is an application that is executed within a container.  Phoenix is
a container bundled with James that runs james.  The james application
is packaged within the james.sar.  To setup things you need to startup
phoneix once during which a number of files are created (such as config)
which you can subsequently edit.  The next time Phoenix starts it should
read your config.xml file.

Cheers, Steve.

Re: What is james.sar?

Posted by tobe <to...@swipnet.se>.
Rupert Young wrote:

>What is the file james.sar, how is it created? It seems to be used when
>James is run as a service. My config.xml is overwritten from it.
>
>Regards,
>Rupert

It is basically a zip-file (actually a jar-file) containing what is
necessary to run James as an Avalon application. You can open it and
create it with the jar utility in a Java SDK. If you rename it .zip, you
should even be able to open it with WinZip.

About your config.xml getting overwritten, I cannot help. For me James
has always worked perfectly as a service (only tried it on WindowsXP),
and as a Linux daemon.

/tobe

What is james.sar?