Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com> on 2008/11/10 15:41:36 UTC

RE: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstr,ap

> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstr,ap
>
> I believe that this only a problem of documentation.

Nope.

> If you followed the on-line instructions (tomcat.apache.org, 6.0,
> documentation, download etc..), you probably downloaded and installed
> the "Windows Service" version.

Also nope.  The OP downloaded and is trying to run the *source*:

> C:\downloads\apache\apache-tomcat-6.0.18-src\apache-tomcat-6.0.18-src\bin>

Works better if you try to run object code.

I would recommend getting the .zip version rather than the .exe; as André points out, it's more flexible.

 - Chuck

RE: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstr,ap

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
i always thought garrison keiler should run for political office..at least to represent the norwegian bachelors
Takk/
Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note

> From: Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com
> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
> Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 15:56:38 -0600
> Subject: RE: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: 	org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstr,ap
>
> > From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> > Subject: Re: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> > org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstr,ap
> >
> > Anyway, to wrap this up, how do we get the official Tomcat
> > "download" and "setup" pages to say all this more clearly
> > than they do at present ?
>
> Submit a bugzilla entry with the patch for the suggested text; the Tomcat doc is part of its source code.
>
> > It's a lot more fun with some far-left, far-right, greens,
> > liberals and nationalists to keep things interesting.
>
> In this state (Minnesota), we actually do have a semi-viable 3rd party; their US Senate candidate managed to garner about 15% of the vote last week.  Unfortunately, they run few candidates in the state elections, so they usually don't have too much of an impact other than as spoilers.  There are certainly some things to be said for a multi-party parliamentary system.
>
> > Just imagine R/D hung 45/45, and Ms Hilton with 10 in the
> > middle holding the balance..
>
> Could be worse, could be Italian politics...  (and yes, "Caldarale" is Italian; I'm in occasional contact with relatives there).
>
>  - Chuck
>

> THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE PROPRIETARY MATERIAL and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its attachments from all computers.

See how Windows® connects the people, information, and fun that are part of your life
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/119463819/direct/01/

RE: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstr,ap

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
>> Subject: Re: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
>> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstr,ap
>>
>> Not everyone who drives a car is, or wants to be, a mechanic. It only
>> very seldom helps.
>
> True; but if you're at the point where you're installing Tomcat, I think some prerequisite knowledge is expected.  It's not just cranking up Word to create the family newsletter.
True too.  But there are a lot of people who just want to do very smart
things *under* Tomcat, without necessarily wanting to spend a lot of
time dealing with installing it, or configuring its log files (could not
stop myself adding that one).

>> So one could then say that the zip and tarball versions are totally
>> identical, just packed with a different utility ?
>
> As far as I can tell, yes.

>> There was a time when a "pure java" program did not work very
>> well as a Windows Service. Such as, if started from a command
>> window, it would be killed whenever the user who originally
>> started it, logged out of his Windows session.
>
> ??? If it's running from a command window, it's not a service.

No, I really meant that even if you would start it *as a service* from a
command window (like "net start servicename"), it would still kill that
service when you logged off.  Really.  Do not ask me what the exact
reason was, but it did that.

>> It was my understanding that this was at least one reason why the
>> Commons Daemon wrapper (procrun) was developed, to "wrap" the JVM in
>> such a way that it did not do that.
>
> Yes, procrun greatly simplifies turning the JVM into a service, but I doubt that it's
  the only way.

The basic reason is that Windows expects to be able to send "messages"
to Windows services, such as "please suspend", or "stop now", and that
these messages are supposed to be looked at by the program in question,
and it is supposed to react to them and tell Windows "ok, seen it, done
that", within a given period of time.  That's the kind of thing that
procrun does (I think), and that maybe the JVM by itself doesn't.
Or maybe now it does, I don't know, and that's why I asked.

Maybe someone else can confirm/deny that ?

>> a) the zip/tarball version also include whatever is needed to wrap the
>> JVM and Tomcat into the Windows Service wrapper ?
>
> Yup, even the tarball includes the Windows scripts and .exe programs.
   Use the service.bat script to install or remove the service.

>> b) the JVM nowadays handles this fine on its own, and does
>> not need the wrapper anymore ?
>
> It's not a problem with the JVM, but with how Windows likes to kick off services.
Well, that is one slightly biased point of view. Unix/Linux do things
one way to run daemons, Windows does it another way and calls them
services.  If the JVM, which pretends to be multi-platform (including
Windows) cannot handle that, then it loses an argument on being really
multi-platform, doesn't it ?
Not that I'm a fan of Windows myself, but fair is fair.

Anyway, to wrap this up, how do we get the official Tomcat "download"
and "setup" pages to say all this more clearly than they do at present ?
Just for the sake of avoiding those recurring questions.
Like :
"Tomcat is a Java application, so it is multi-platform by definition,
and you can run the exact same version under Unix/Linux or Windows.  The
default (or "main" or "official") version is the one you get in the zip
or the tar.gz distribution, and they both contain the same files. Any
one of them can be used to install and run Tomcat under Unix/Linux or
under Windows.  Only, the contained ".bat" scripts are the ones to use
under Windows, and the ".sh" scripts are to be used under Unix/Linux.

There is also a special Windows-only pre-packaged version, named
"Windows service installer", which contains slightly less files, but
makes it easier for you if all you want is run Tomcat as a Windows
service and be done with it.  It has a GUI installer like Windows users
are used to, and automatically installs Tomcat as a service for you,
with all the required parameters already pre-defined so as to make it
really easy.  It also has a GUI program to change the service startup
parameters should you need to.
But if you want to run Tomcat also in a command window, or want to play
around with the startup scripts etc.., then download and use the zip
version instead.  It will also allow you to run Tomcat as a Windows
service, but the setup for that requires a little more work."

P.S.
We need a third OS contender one of these days, or it is going to get
really boring. In Europe we know all about that, none of this R. vs D.
-only kind of stuff. It's a lot more fun with some far-left, far-right,

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstr,ap
>
> Not everyone who drives a car is, or wants to be, a mechanic. It only
> very seldom helps.

True; but if you're at the point where you're installing Tomcat, I think some prerequisite knowledge is expected.  It's not just cranking up Word to create the family newsletter.

> So one could then say that the zip and tarball versions are totally
> identical, just packed with a different utility ?

As far as I can tell, yes.

> There was a time when a "pure java" program did not work very
> well as a Windows Service. Such as, if started from a command
> window, it would be killed whenever the user who originally
> started it, logged out of his Windows session.

??? If it's running from a command window, it's not a service.

> It was my understanding that this was at least one reason why the
> Commons Daemon wrapper (procrun) was developed, to "wrap" the JVM in
> such a way that it did not do that.

Yes, procrun greatly simplifies turning the JVM into a service, but I doubt that it's the only way.

> a) the zip/tarball version also include whatever is needed to wrap the
> JVM and Tomcat into the Windows Service wrapper ?

Yup, even the tarball includes the Windows scripts and .exe programs.  Use the service.bat script to install or remove the service.

> b) the JVM nowadays handles this fine on its own, and does
> not need the wrapper anymore ?

It's not a problem with the JVM, but with how Windows likes to kick off services.  It might be possible to set up a Java-based service without procrun, but I haven't played with it, since procrun makes it so easy.

> c) you really need the wrapped version if you want to run Tomcat as a
> service, and only the Service installer provides that wrapper ?

Yes to the first part (for practical purposes), no to the second.

 - Chuck

Re: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstr,ap

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
>> Subject: Re: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
>> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstr,ap
>>
>> why are there two versions for Windows, and what would
>> be the best usage of the one or the other version ?
>
> Now that's a good question.  Since I'm not privy to the designers' thought processes, I can only speculate that the .exe version is for novices who don't know how to actually use a computer.
Not everyone who drives a car is, or wants to be, a mechanic. It only
very seldom helps.

   Although the .exe slightly simplifies the service installation, its
failure to include the scripts makes it a non-starter for me; if I had a
vote, I'd get rid of it.

> By the way, there aren't two versions for Windows, but three: the tarball works fine (just as the .zip does on Linux), as long as you have something on Windows with which to extract the files.

So one could then say that the zip and tarball versions are totally
identical, just packed with a different utility ?

An additional pointed question, about the .zip and tarball versions
(assuming one can unpack it on the platform of choice) :
There was a time when a "pure java" program did not work very well as a
Windows Service. Such as, if started from a command window, it would be
killed whenever the user who originally started it, logged out of his
Windows session.
It was my understanding that this was at least one reason why the
Commons Daemon wrapper (procrun) was developed, to "wrap" the JVM in
such a way that it did not do that.

Now, is this still the case, and/or (mixture of questions here) :

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstr,ap
>
> why are there two versions for Windows, and what would
> be the best usage of the one or the other version ?

Now that's a good question.  Since I'm not privy to the designers' thought processes, I can only speculate that the .exe version is for novices who don't know how to actually use a computer.  Although the .exe slightly simplifies the service installation, its failure to include the scripts makes it a non-starter for me; if I had a vote, I'd get rid of it.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
>> Subject: Re: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
>> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstr,ap
>>
>> I think maybe yep still.
>
> I'm not saying the doc is perfect (far from it), but the OP downloaded the source, not the binary.
>
>> I believe it is really not clear what you get when on the
>> download page,
>
> Binary vs source isn't clear?

Yes, Chuck, that part is clear.
Maybe I'm just starting like someone else, answering questions that
aren't asked (yet). ;-)
What I meant was simply that, *had* the OP not downloaded a version
already, but *had* he been wondering which version to download, and
*had* he been considering the information in the on-line documentation
wondering which version he *should* download, then it *would* not
necessarily have been clear to him.
Which is, maybe, why he downloaded the source version rather than either
the zip or service version in the first place.

So maybe we should ask to OP himself to indicate what was his ultimate
aim in downloading a Tomcat for Windows : simply to run it as a service
(in which case the "service installer" may be the better choice), or to
run it also on the command-line, play around with the .bat settings etc..

By the way, as long as you're there and in a chatty mood, why are there

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstr,ap
>
> I think maybe yep still.

I'm not saying the doc is perfect (far from it), but the OP downloaded the source, not the binary.

> I believe it is really not clear what you get when on the
> download page,

Binary vs source isn't clear?

 - Chuck

Re: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstr,ap

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
>> Subject: Re: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
>> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstr,ap
>>
>> I believe that this only a problem of documentation.
>
> Nope.

I think maybe yep still.
I believe it is really not clear what you get when on the download page,
and the README does not help that much, unless you pretty much already
know the difference between the zip version and the Service installer.
As to the Documentation page
(http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/index.html)
2. Setup
it leads to a page where you find
a) the installation as a Windows service
and
b) the installation as a Unix daemon
but it is missing the "in-between" : that you can also run Tomcat under
Windows from the ".zip" distribution (maybe as a service, maybe not, I'm
still not quite clear myself on that one).
And the "Windows Service HowTo" starts with the bold phrase
*This section of the documentation applies to procrun 1.0, and is now
obsolete.*
So it's not particularly inviting or reassuring.
Even that phrase also assumes that someone already knows what procrun
is, in the first place.

Understand, I'm not complaining, just explaining that someone without
previous knowledge may have some doubts as to what to use.