Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Turner, John" <JT...@AAS.com> on 2002/07/31 19:55:34 UTC

HOWTO: apache 1.3.36 + tomcat 4.0.4 + mod_jk on RH 7.2 (first dra ft)

Hello All -

I hacked together a HOWTO today for apache 1.3.36 + tomcat 4.0.4 + mod_jk on
RH 7.2.

You can find it here:
http://www.johnturner.com/howto/apache-tomcat-howto.html

Comments and suggestions are welcome, I will be revising and updating it as
needed.  It doesn't currently cover virtual hosts, and I know that is
something that is getting a lot of attention.

I'm going to get one together for IIS and tomcat as well, to add to the
others that are out there.  I noticed the Galatea Flashguides link has been
down lately, so I want to try and keep as much information as possible
available even though I don't use Windows for servers.

- John

Re: HOWTO: apache 1.3.36 + tomcat 4.0.4 + mod_jk on RH 7.2 (first dra ft)

Posted by adam kramer <ad...@monkey.org>.
You can still get to galatea via google:
http://216.239.39.100/search?q=cache:ZxCtYoeijQsC:www.galatea.com/flashguides/apache-tomcat-4-unix.xml+building+mod_webapp&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

RE: Apache Authentication for Tomcat

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Josh Landin wrote:

> Milt,
>
> Let me lay out the setup here -- Apache is setup to host multiple Virtual
> Hosts. Such that...
>
> http://intranet1/
> Has a docbase of /drives/a/webapps/intranet1
>
> http://intranet2/
> Has a docbase of /drives/a/webapps/intranet2
>
> etc...
>
> So how could I use the <Location> tag and not affect the other Virtual
> hosts. I simply want to force authentication for the virtual host
> "intranet1" only. I figured adding a <Directory> tag for
> "/drives/a/webapps/intranet1" would do it, but it doesn't.
>
> Suggestions?

I'd try something with either

<Location "/intranet1">
<Directory "/drives/a/webapps/intranet1">

You might have to play around with a few different similar values and
where the lines are placed in your httpd.conf file.

Also, is there any kind of rewriting, or aliasing going on?  That
might change what values you have to use in the above directives.
(That was true in my situation, and I had to try a few different
things before I found something that worked.)

Also, in your Connector tag in tomcat's server.xml, you may need to
add the attribute tomcatAuthentication="false", e.g.:

             acceptCount="10" debug="0" tomcatAuthentication="false"/>

I needed to add that in order to have Tomcat use the authenticated
user value from Apache (and then it showed up in the logs -- in one of
your earlier messages, you showed some lines from the logs where the
user showed up on one line but not another).  You might try this
first, actually, that could be your problem.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Systems and Technology Services (STS)
mepstein@uiuc.edu