Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by tech20nn <vi...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/30 17:10:23 UTC

DataImportHandler frequency

I working with a transactional system with RDBMS. We have approximately 200
db transaction per minute at peak usage. I am planning to use Solr for
indexing various part of data. I wanted to keep Solr indexes as up to date
as possible, so the the search result returned to user are as fresh and
actionable as possible.

Wanted to check if there is a guidance on frequency for running
delta-import. I was thinking of running it every 1 minute. It is better to
post document as part of online transaction or better to run data import
every minute ?

Re: DataImportHandler frequency

Posted by Lan <du...@gmail.com>.
It's best run the data import once per minute. Solr updates works best when
updates are batched and commits are infrequent.

Doing a post per document as a transaction would require a solr commit,
which could cause the server to hang under update load. Of course you could
not do the commit but your users would not see the update in the search
results.