Posted to user@thrift.apache.org by Jens Geyer <je...@hotmail.com> on 2015/06/18 22:03:21 UTC

AW: THRIFT-3188

Hi Jeff,

the phrase "it is a bad idea" can safely be translated to "it will not work". Namespaces in Thrift are currently limited to one IDL file only, bwcause the compiler handles each file individually. In some languages files with a predefined name are generated, typically for constants or the like. If there are multiple NS you get gen- files with different subfolders and no conflict. But if two IDL files share the same NS stuff gets overwritten because Thrift does not "remember" which generated file belongs to which IDL file.

Unfortunately I can't think of any place where this is really good documented, that's true. We probably should change that and make it clear, because it is indeed a FAQ.

Have fun,
JensG