Posted to general@xml.apache.org by "Mathew, Mathew" <MM...@kimpact.com> on 2001/07/18 17:07:44 UTC

exceptions using jaxp with crimsion

Following exceptions get thrown when I do xml processing in a
applet(IE-Microsoft VM). I use the java xml api and use the crimson parser.
Anybody any input on how to get rid of this. From the stack trace it looks
as if the cause is the missing jaxp properties file. But I thought the
properties file was a optional requirement and by default the crimson parser
will be selected.

thanks

com.ms.security.SecurityExceptionEx[Host]: cannot access file
C:\WINDOWS\Java\lib\jaxp.properties
	at com/ms/security/permissions/FileIOPermission.check
(FileIOPermission.java)
	at com/ms/security/PolicyEngine.deepCheck (PolicyEngine.java)
	at com/ms/security/PolicyEngine.checkPermission (PolicyEngine.java)
	at com/ms/security/StandardSecurityManager.chk
(StandardSecurityManager.java)
	at com/ms/security/StandardSecurityManager.checkRead
(StandardSecurityManager.java)
	at java/io/File.exists (File.java)
	at javax/xml/parsers/DocumentBuilderFactory.findFactory
(DocumentBuilderFactory.java:374)
	at javax/xml/parsers/DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance
(DocumentBuilderFactory.java:104)
	at XMLIndexFileReader.getHTMLResultString
(XMLIndexFileReader.java:87)
	at DisplayBuilderApplet.init (DisplayBuilderApplet.java:96)
	at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.securedCall0 (AppletPanel.java)
	at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.securedCall (AppletPanel.java)
	at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.processSentEvent (AppletPanel.java)
	at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.processSentEvent (AppletPanel.java)
	at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.run (AppletPanel.java)
	at java/lang/Thread.run (Thread.java)

Re: exceptions using jaxp with crimsion

Posted by Edwin Goei <ed...@sun.com>.
"Mathew, Mathew" wrote:

> Following exceptions get thrown when I do xml processing in a
> applet(IE-Microsoft VM). I use the java xml api and use the crimson parser.
> Anybody any input on how to get rid of this. From the stack trace it looks
> as if the cause is the missing jaxp properties file. But I thought the
> properties file was a optional requirement and by default the crimson parser
> will be selected.

What version of crimson are you using?  The latest version of crimson,
1.1.1 should work.  See http://xml.apache.org/dist/crimson/.

-Edwin

Re: exceptions using jaxp with crimsion

Posted by Gary L Peskin <ga...@firstech.com>.
Mathew --

IE is complaining here about not being able to access a file because of
the security settings that you have set within IE.  There are various
ways of dealing with this and you can read about it here
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q175/6/22.ASP or here
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q179/6/52.asp

The easiest way to deal with this is to click on Tools | Internet
Options.  Then, select the Security Tab.  Click on "Trusted sites".
Click the "Sites ..." button and add the site that the applet came from
to your list of trusted sites.  Under "Security level for this zone"
back on the Security tab, click "Custom Level ..." while Trusted Sites
is highlighted.  Under "Microsoft VM", select the Custom radio button
under "Java permissions".  a "Java Custom Settings ..." button will
magically appear.  Click it.  Then, click on the "Edit Permissions"
tab.  Then go to the "Unsigned Content" section.  It should be first.
Select the "Enable" radio button under either "Access to all Files" or
"User Selected File Access."  The latter option will put up a dialog box
whenever file access is attempted and allow you to okay it or veto it.

Now, unsigned applets from your trusted site will be able to access
local files.  Wasn't that fun?

I believe that even an untrusted applet should be able to read files
from the same place as the applet but I'm no applet security guru.
Understanding the implementation of applet security in IE is left to the
reader. :)

Gary