Posted to user@flume.apache.org by Ryan Chan <ry...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/25 16:39:35 UTC

Centralizing web server access logs - syslog or tailing log file?

I am new to Flume, just a quick question:

Q, I have 10 web servers and need to centralize the access log for analyses
purpose, I have done some research and basically you have two way to send
the log to the "collector", that is using the syslog or tailing the access
log files.

In term of scalability and reliability, which method you would suggest? For
me, seems syslog is more reliable. Any comments?

Thanks.

Re: Centralizing web server access logs - syslog or tailing log file?

Posted by alo alt <wg...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Windows is not supported so far. If you have time for patches or testing it would be glad!

best,
 Alex

--
Alexander Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com

Posted by Chalcy Raja <Ch...@careerbuilder.com>.

Posted by Chalcy Raja <Ch...@careerbuilder.com>.

Posted by Alexander Lorenz <wg...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Chan <ry...@gmail.com>.
Just have a look today..too bad it does not currently support S3 as the sink

Posted by Alexander Lorenz <wg...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Chan <ry...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by alo alt <wg...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

yes, use syslog. tail and tailDir has some limitations and issues.