Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Chris Hecker <ch...@d6.com> on 2003/06/24 08:31:34 UTC

mod_authz_svn bug(?) & question

Two mod_authz_svn questions:

1.  I have a very simple authz file:

[/]
test=r

and the snv httpd.conf section below, and "test" and "checker" in the
.htpasswd file.  If I point a browser at the repository and log in as test
it brings up the webpage.  If I log in as checker, a valid user but not
listed in the authz file, httpd's working set grows to 250MB or so (on a
128mb physical ram machine) and it dies.

2.  How does the authz stuff interact with using SVNParentPath?  I want to
use SVNParentPath and have the repositories under that, and use authz to do
fine-grained permissions on them.  In testing this I discovered the above
[potential] bug, so I didn't get far.  Can I do this?  So, if I have
repositories/a and repositories/b, and point SVNParentPath at
repositories/, will the authz file do the right thing on [/], [/a], and
[/b] sections, etc.?

Thanks,
Chris

<Location /svn/icfp>
     DAV svn
     SVNPath /home/svn/repositories/icfp
     SetOutputFilter DEFLATE

     AuthType Basic
     AuthName "Subversion Repository"
     AuthUserFile /home/svn/auth/.htpasswd
     AuthzSVNAccessFile /home/svn/auth/.htauthzsvn
     Require valid-user
</Location>

RE: mod_authz_svn bug(?) & question

Posted by Chris Hecker <ch...@d6.com>.
> > it brings up the webpage.  If I log in as checker, a valid user but not
> > listed in the authz file, httpd's working set grows to 250MB or so (on a
> > 128mb physical ram machine) and it dies.
>Hmmm.  I'll try and reproduce this.

I forgot to mention this is over https/ssl, if it matters.

>This is all TBD.

Fair enough...for now I will just have separate <Location>'s.  Any
ETA?  The syntax I mentioned seems like the obvious thing for sharing a
single authz file.  Or I suppose you could have a authz file in each
repository directory and have a directive for setting the file name (which
would have to be the same amongst them all) or have it be prescribed.

Thanks,
Chris

> and the snv httpd.conf section below, and "test" and "checker" in the
> .htpasswd file.  If I point a browser at the repository and log in as test
> it brings up the webpage.  If I log in as checker, a valid user but not
> listed in the authz file, httpd's working set grows to 250MB or so (on a
> 128mb physical ram machine) and it dies.

Hmmm.  I'll try and reproduce this.

> 2.  How does the authz stuff interact with using SVNParentPath?

Currently, it doesn't.

> I want to use SVNParentPath and have the repositories under that, and use
> authz to do fine-grained permissions on them.  In testing this I discovered
> the above [potential] bug, so I didn't get far.  Can I do this?  So, if I have
> repositories/a and repositories/b, and point SVNParentPath at
> repositories/, will the authz file do the right thing on [/], [/a], and
> [/b] sections, etc.?

This is all TBD.

Sander