Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Xu Renjie <xr...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/17 10:44:40 UTC

Astyanax empty column check

hello guys,
   I am currently using Astyanax as a client(new to Astyanax). But I am not
clear how to differentiate the following 2 situations:
a. A row which has only key without columns
b. No this row in database.

Since when I use RowQuery to query Cassandra with given key, both the above
two situations will return a ColumnList
with size 0. And also I didn't find other api can handle this.
Do you have any better way for this? Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Xu

Re: Astyanax empty column check

Posted by Xu Renjie <xr...@gmail.com>.
I see, it helps a lot. Thank you for you info.
Oh, also Mr. Joe Celko :P

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
Very slim reason to link to my favourite Joe Celko (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Celko) quote:

"
'LOL! My wife is an ordained Soto Zen priest. I would say after 30 years together, I'd go with her.  She is the only person who understood NULLs immediately.
http://www.simple-talk.com/opinion/geek-of-the-week/geek-of-the-week-joe-celko/
"

>>> a. A row which has only key without columns
>>> b. No this row in database.
From the point of view of the API a row with zero *live* columns is the same as a row that does not exist.

Posted by "Hiller, Dean" <De...@nrel.gov>.

From: Xu Renjie <xr...@gmail.com>>
Date: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 4:48 AM
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<ma...@cassandra.apache.org>" <us...@cassandra.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Astyanax empty column check

Posted by Xu Renjie <xr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by rohit bhatia <ro...@gmail.com>.
See
"If you attempt to retrieve an entire row and it returns a result with
no columns, it effectively means that row does not exist."
Essentially a row without columns doesn't exist.. (except those with tombstones)
 from here

Posted by Xu Renjie <xr...@gmail.com>.