Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/13 00:25:42 UTC

[DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

How are people feeling about doing a 3.5.0 release soon?

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by Rodrigo Silveira <rs...@mozilla.com>.
I can help with testing Firefox OS. I assume I can't do much on the firefox os subtask[1] as a non-committer.

There are a couple of pull requests for Firefox OS that I'd love to see in the release ([2] & [3]). PR [4] would be amazing too, but might need some rework. I'm waiting on cordova-lib to show up in github to migrate a local change from CLI that is related to these others too.

None of this is release blocking though.

Rodrigo.

[2] https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-contacts/pull/29
[3] https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-geolocation/pull/17
[4] https://github.com/apache/cordova-firefoxos/pull/7

Posted by Rodrigo Silveira <rs...@mozilla.com>.
Hi Steve,

Got it! We don't have anything platform pending that has to make this release then, the PR I mentioned for firefoxos is still being reviewed it seems. For the plugin changes I'll wait to do the nagging when plugin releases is nearer :).

Let me know how I can help with the release.

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com>.
On May 5, 2014, at 10:39 AM, Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org> wrote:

> Option 2 makes sense to me.

Same here.

> - I don't think we should "release docs". Don't want to have to vote every
> time we make a tweak to them.

I'm a bit torn on this one. I agree that voting would be tedious, and the docs are already generated and available online. But on the other hand, the docs are an output of the project, and in theory should be as important as the code. Given that we don't change old docs very often at all, how about if we publish the docs in source form, but only for the current version (don't include any of the old versions, or edge: just 3.5.0 in this case). Effectively that means we release one version of the docs at a time, and they don't get re-released unless there is an extraordinary situation. Is this a decent compromise? Would it make sense to also publish the generated docs (just that version) in the same zip as a convenience?

> - Should we do away with adding "rc1" to RCs? Presumably the existence of
> the release branch should serve the purpose os people being able to test
> the right thing. Once it's tested & it's vote time, we can't have "rc" in
> the version.

Yeah, stripping the "rc1" would technically seem to invalidate the vote because a new artifact would be generated, and there would be a new hash. How about if the contents of the zip don't have "rc1", but the filename does include the string "rc1"? So then promotion to dist is a move and a rename, but the contents stay the same.

> - Voting might go smoother if we vote on platforms separately. E.g. I
> wouldn't be willing to vote platforms that I've never touched.

Yes. I can run "coho verify-archive" easy enough, but I'll probably do a functional test only of my primary platform (android).

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.
Option 2 makes sense to me.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.
Releasing options for 3.5.0.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by Ian Clelland <ic...@chromium.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.
I have created the master release issue at

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by Ian Clelland <ic...@chromium.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.
Hello everyone!

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by Josh Soref <js...@blackberry.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by purplecabbage <pu...@gmail.com>.
I would like to see 3.5.0 ready to vote on late next week. I have some house keeping to do, as there are big fixes for windows 8 and wp8 that need to be pushed out. I've been away for /build so haven't been able to do much this week.

Sent from my iPhone

RE: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by "Parashuram Narasimhan (MS OPEN TECH)" <pa...@microsoft.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by Sebastien Blanc <sc...@gmail.com>.
Hi !

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com>.
It feels like trying to tag only iOS as 3.5.0 before the other platforms is going to create a mess when it comes time to release the other platforms, especially if there are subsequent changes to cordova-js and/or cordova-ios. I don't like moving tags. So +1 to Michal's question.

On Mar 27, 2014, at 9:56 PM, Michal Mocny <mm...@google.com> wrote:

> Before I even try to grok the other questions, why can't we just tag iOS as
> 3.4.1?

Perhaps the long-term answer for doing away with the cadence release is to version all the platforms separately, like how we do for the plugins now.

> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 8:23 PM, Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The best course of action for the future is to set the build label in
>> cordovajs to be just the sha.

Maybe in the future, the build label in cordova-js also floats separate from the versions of all the platforms. Yeah, perhaps it's just the sha. Every git repo has its own master and own independent versioning sequence.

That does beg the question if there is some kind of overall snapshot id to replace the cadver, and when do we do Apache releases to dist.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@google.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.
I suppose we could do a 3.4.1 just for iOS, plus update Cordova CLI. That's
looking more likely.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0