Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mario Ohnewald <ma...@gmx.de> on 2004/03/10 13:38:34 UTC

[users@httpd] Virtual Users

Hello List!
I have a few virtual users which only exist in my mysql database.
I would like to give them a url like:
  example.com/~virtual_user_a

I have tried it with:
  <Directory /home/webspace/*/public_html>

Although userdir needs to look those users up in passwd, so they would need
to be a unix user.

Rewrite is not really a solution, since i want to set tighter permissions
into the
    <Directory /home/webspace/*/public_html>
definitions.

How can i manage vusers like in my case?

Thanks, Mario

Re: [users@httpd] Virtual Users

Posted by Vi <vi...@bexout.com>.
Mario Ohnewald wrote:

>>At 10:35 AM 3/10/2004, Mario Ohnewald wrote:
>>

>>>I have no users on my system. They do not really exists (only in my mysql
>>>table).
>>>How do big ISPs handle this?!
>>>

>>Dunno, I've just got an intranet set up in my office. But it shouldn't
>>matter imo whether you have real people as users or not, you still need to
>>
>>set up the unix accounts.
>>

>I doubt that big ISPs have a /etc/passwd file with 10000 users :P

Why not? It's not that much. Sure 10^4 is a big number for human,
but even on old computer to proces this file won't take long.
I think that new computers (+systems) can handle /etc/passwd with 10^9 users
easily.

Re: [users@httpd] Virtual Users

Posted by Mario Ohnewald <ma...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
Marty Landman wrote:

> At 10:35 AM 3/10/2004, Mario Ohnewald wrote:
>
>> I have no users on my system. They do not really exists (only in my mysql
>> table).
>> How do big ISPs handle this?!
>

> Dunno, I've just got an intranet set up in my office. But it shouldn't
> matter imo whether you have real people as users or not, you still need
> to set up the unix accounts.

You do not need system accounts to use mod_userdir.  Check the docs
again.  The only format that requires system accounts is
UserDir public_html
The other formats just work from the URL.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Virtual Users

Posted by Marty Landman <ML...@face2interface.com>.
At 10:35 AM 3/10/2004, Mario Ohnewald wrote:

>I have no users on my system. They do not really exists (only in my mysql
>table).
>How do big ISPs handle this?!

Dunno, I've just got an intranet set up in my office. But it shouldn't
matter imo whether you have real people as users or not, you still need to
set up the unix accounts.

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc.   845-679-9387
FormATable  DB: http://face2interface.com/Products/FormATable.shtml
Free Formmailer: http://face2interface.com/Products/Formal.shtml

Re: [users@httpd] Virtual Users

Posted by Mario Ohnewald <ma...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Marty Landman <ML...@face2interface.com>.
At 07:38 AM 3/10/2004, Mario Ohnewald wrote:

>I have a few virtual users which only exist in my mysql database.
>I would like to give them a url like:
>   example.com/~virtual_user_a

Look up UserDir. The following begins on line 284 of my Apache2 default
conf file:

#
# UserDir: The name of the directory that is appended onto a user's home
# directory if a ~user request is received.  Be especially careful to use
# proper, forward slashes here.  On Windows NT, "Personal/My Website"
# is a more appropriate choice.
#
UserDir "My Documents/My Website"

>Although userdir needs to look those users up in passwd, so they would need
>to be a unix user.

I believe the way it works is that for each user on your system they will
have a default website located at the dir you specify in the UserDir
directive. If you set this loc up as their home dir when adding the user
then they can ftp directly to their site folder on the server.

>How can i manage vusers like in my case?

Mario I don't know that these are considered virtual users at all. But then
I'm pretty new to this myself.

hth,