Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Tim Dunphy <bl...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/29 14:21:43 UTC

cassandra monitoring

Hi all,

I'm attempting to configure datastax agent so that opscenter can monitor
cassandra. I am running cassandra 2.0.3 and opscenter-4.0.1-2.noarch
running. Cassandra is running on a centos 5.9 host and the opscenter host
is running on centos 6.5

A ps shows the agent running

[root@beta:~] #ps -ef | grep datastax | grep -v grep
root      2166     1  0 03:31 ?        00:00:00 /bin/bash
/usr/share/datastax-agent/bin/datastax_agent_monitor
106       2187     1  0 03:31 ?        00:01:37
/etc/alternatives/javahome/bin/java -Xmx40M -Xms40M
-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=/var/lib/datastax-agent/ssl/agentKeyStore
-Djavax.net.ssl.keyStore=/var/lib/datastax-agent/ssl/agentKeyStore
-Djavax.net.ssl.keyStorePassword=opscenter
-Dagent-pidfile=/var/run/datastax-agent/datastax-agent.pid
-Dlog4j.configuration=/etc/datastax-agent/log4j.properties -jar
datastax-agent-4.0.2-standalone.jar
/var/lib/datastax-agent/conf/address.yaml

And the service itself claims that it is running:

[root@beta:~] #service datastax-agent status
datastax-agent (pid  2187) is running...

On the cassandra node I have ports 61620 and 61621 open on the firewall.

But if I do an lsof and look for those ports I see no activity there.

[root@beta:~] #lsof -i :61620
[root@beta:~] #lsof -i :61621

And a netstat turns up nothing either:
[root@beta:~] #netstat -tapn | egrep "(datastax|ops)"

So I guess it should come as no surprise that the opscenter interface
reports the node as down.

And trying to reinstall the agent remotely by clicking the 'fix' link
errors out:

g is null

If you need to make changes, you can press "Retry" and the installations
will be retried.

And also I got on another attempt:

"Cannot call method 'getRequstStatus' of null.

I'm really wondering why I'm doing wrong here, and how I can work my way
out of this quagmire. It would be beyond awesome to actually get this
working!

I've also attempted to get Cassandra Cluster Admin working. JMX is doing
it's thing on the cassandra node and is running on port 8081. CCA is
running on the same host as the opscenter.

But cca gives me this error once I log in:

Cassandra Cluster Admin <http://cca.jokefire.com/>
Logout <http://cca.jokefire.com/logout.php>

*Fatal error*: Uncaught exception 'TTransportException' with message
'TSocket: timed out reading 4 bytes from beta.jokefire.com:9160' in
/var/www/Cassandra-Cluster-Admin/include/thrift/transport/TSocket.php:268
Stack trace: #0
/var/www/Cassandra-Cluster-Admin/include/thrift/transport/TTransport.php(87):
TSocket->read(4) #1
/var/www/Cassandra-Cluster-Admin/include/thrift/transport/TFramedTransport.php(135):
TTransport->readAll(4) #2
/var/www/Cassandra-Cluster-Admin/include/thrift/transport/TFramedTransport.php(102):
TFramedTransport->readFrame() #3
/var/www/Cassandra-Cluster-Admin/include/thrift/transport/TTransport.php(87):
TFramedTransport->read(4) #4
/var/www/Cassandra-Cluster-Admin/include/thrift/protocol/TBinaryProtocol.php(300):
TTransport->readAll(4) #5
/var/www/Cassandra-Cluster-Admin/include/thrift/protocol/TBinaryProtocol.php(192):
TBinaryProtocol->readI32(NULL) #6
/var/www/Cassandra-Cluster-Admin/include/thrift/packages/cassandra/cassandra.Cassandra.client.php(1017):
TBinaryProtocol->readMessageBegin(NULL, 0, 0) # in
*/var/www/Cassandra-Cluster-Admin/include/thrift/transport/TSocket.php* on
line *268*

Any advice I could get on my CCA problem and /or my Opcenter problem would
be great and appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

--
GPG me!!

Re: cassandra monitoring

Posted by Nick Bailey <ni...@datastax.com>.
> Install Errored: Failure installing agent on beta.jokefire.com. Error
> output: /var/lib/opscenter/ssl/agentKeyStore.pem: No such file or directory
> Exit code: 1

This indicates that there was a problem generating ssl files when OpsCenter
first started up. I would check the log around the first time you started
opscenter for errors. Another option would be to disable ssl communication
between OpsCenter and the agents.

http://www.datastax.com/documentation/opscenter/4.0/webhelp/index.html#opsc/configure/opscConfigSSL_g.html

http://www.datastax.com/documentation/opscenter/4.0/webhelp/index.html#opsc/configure/opscConfigureUserAccess_c.html#opscConfigureUserAccess

Re: cassandra monitoring

Posted by "Timothy P. Dunphy" <bl...@jokefire.com>.
Hi Aaron,

You were right. JMX is running on port 7199, it's just the web interface that's on 8081. My mistake. But what I did was to delete my existing cluster and try to build a new cluster within opscenter and try pointing it at my existing cassandra node. Just one node for now, but when we go to production we plan to scale out.

When I tried to install the agent with opscetner, the installation begins but fails with this message a few moments later:

Posted by Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.