Posted to mirrors@apache.org by Andrew Kenna <an...@stamina.com.au> on 2001/07/10 00:59:16 UTC

Mirror Problems

Since its obvious that everyone at apache is flat out and doesn't have time
at the moment to fix up the links on the main apache page so they are based
on a site by site basis, ie httpd.apache.org. How about someone does up a
tutorial on how to change the links using mod_rewrite and the guys include
it on the howto become a mirror page.

I am not very knowledgeable on mod_rewrite but i'm sure someone out there
has done something already to fix this annoying problem.

Thoughts anyone ?

--

Andrew

Re: Mirror Problems

Posted by "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <ka...@rohrbach.de>.
Andrew Kenna(andrewk@stamina.com.au)@2001.07.10 08:59:16 +0000:
> Since its obvious that everyone at apache is flat out and doesn't have time
> at the moment to fix up the links on the main apache page so they are based
> on a site by site basis, ie httpd.apache.org. How about someone does up a
> tutorial on how to change the links using mod_rewrite and the guys include
> it on the howto become a mirror page.
>
> I am not very knowledgeable on mod_rewrite but i'm sure someone out there
> has done something already to fix this annoying problem.
>
> Thoughts anyone ?

option 1)
    get rid of the *.apache.org hostnames, thus making apache-site a
    self-contained rsync target (like it was some years ago)

option 2)
    write a howto document and re-engineer dyn-closer.cgi to split up
    the www/dev/httpd hosts _and_ include information on what rsync
    target goes on which host (this may actually be out of discussion
    since several people to not have apache.whatever.com hostnames for
    their mirror)

i would choose option 1 and think about a rewrite/40x handler that
redirects if the corresponding file is not found locally. this improves
performance, since the people get the right documents from the right
server and if
- the object is not there
- the whole hierarchy (/httpd/ for example) is not there
- you apache.org guys _want_ to have a file accessed always from the
  master site
this would be a pretty sensible choice

first the whole distribution model should be reengineered. is somebody
already doing this? should i propose a transition plan?

brian?

/k

--
> The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour
> to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores
> the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them
> into it in the first place. --Douglas Adams in Guardian, August 25, 1995
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- WebMonster Community Founder -- nGENn GmbH Senior Techie
http://www.webmonster.de/ -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ -- http://www.ngenn.net/
karsten&rohrbach.de -- alpha&ngenn.net -- alpha&scene.org -- catch@spam.de
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 BF46
Please do not remove my address from To: and Cc: fields in mailing lists. 10x

Re: Mirror Problems

Posted by jason andrade <ja...@dstc.edu.au>.
On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Andrew Kenna wrote:

btw, can i please get you to check to see if mirror.aarnet is listed in
the mirror system for apache ?

it needs to be

http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/apache/
ftp://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/apache/

at the moment the current record doesn't have the "/pub" in it.

regards,

-jason