Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com> on 2016/12/15 16:03:54 UTC

[DISCUSS] Web site update

How we could revamp the webiste on activemq.apache.org.

Both Camel and ActiveMQ share the same design. It would be great if we
could do something clean...

I like the example of qpid.apache.org, I would even still their design :).

Maybe bring Artemis a bit more up front on the website and make the
look and feel a bit more modern and clean.

Anyone available to help here? :)

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
duh.. wrong thread..  ignore this last message.. I will post again...

back to the subject.. it will be great if you know someone who wants
to get involved on this.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
BTW: you're right.. the journal-sync tool was not actually syncing on NIO

Mapped and NIO are performing similarly. (Mapped being slight faster)

I am also changing AIO to not use O_DIRECT in case of sync=false...

(I don't know why someone would use AIO with sync=false, but in any
case.. i will make the change)

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 9:05 AM, nigro_franz <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 For renewed logo and front page, but sadly my artistic skills and
> aesthetic sense are very very very low :(
> But, I'll ask to a front-end developer friend if he is interested to start
> contributing!

Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
I gave up on doing it myself... I still want a face lift of the web
site. But I have been doing some refactoring on Message encodings and
protocols (making it faster) + the recent IO work I did.. so I"m not
finding time to do it myself.

But I'm asking anyone with good experience in Web Design to make a
prototype to replace the front page :) Anyone care to help? :)

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

Posted by Dejan Bosanac <de...@nighttale.net>.
I think the good starting point would be to create a new front page, that
explains what’s this all about and have some links to subprojects,
downloads, news, blogs and stuff. Then we can migrate existing sites to the
new style one by one.

Regards
--
Dejan Bosanac
http://sensatic.net/about

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 8:40 PM, Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> @tbish Good point. We'll want to bring NMS, CMS, etc along for sure.
>

> On 12/15/16 2:21 PM, Timothy Bish wrote:
>
>> On 12/15/2016 02:08 PM, Matt Pavlovich wrote:
>>
>>> @tbish.. haha.  Yeah, the Karaf site can be a bit much, but the use of
>>> color and pictures is good.. lot of other popular open source projects have
>>> similar layouts.. spring.io, etc.
>>>
>>> @clebert- IMO the plain apache.org is pretty bland. Prolly one step up
>>> from openbsd.org level blandness ;-) The current Artemis docs have nice
>>> l&f. I agree w/ clean site, but I think we should shoot for better font
>>> usage and at least an updated logo.
>>>
>>> A nice logo that looks good as a laptop sticker, backpacks, t-shirts,
>>> etc seems to be attainable.
>>>
>>> Others to consider:
>>> wicket.apache.org
>>> spark.apache.org
>>> cassandra.apache.org (meh on the font, but clean look, good use of font
>>> face and font color)
>>> mesos.apache.org
>>> couchdb.apache.org (less karaf'sh, simple layout. good font faces and

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
If your looking to do a new custom template, you might want to try out
something like https://webflow.com/
For a small price you get really nice visual way to control all the
html/css you'd want to do and then export it so you can turn it into a
template.

--
Hiram Chirino
Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

Posted by Martyn Taylor <mt...@redhat.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
I got a bit confused.

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On 12/15/2016 02:08 PM, Matt Pavlovich wrote:
> @tbish.. haha.  Yeah, the Karaf site can be a bit much, but the use of
> color and pictures is good.. lot of other popular open source projects
> have similar layouts.. spring.io, etc.
>
> @clebert- IMO the plain apache.org is pretty bland. Prolly one step up
> from openbsd.org level blandness ;-) The current Artemis docs have
> nice l&f. I agree w/ clean site, but I think we should shoot for
> better font usage and at least an updated logo.
>
> A nice logo that looks good as a laptop sticker, backpacks, t-shirts,
> etc seems to be attainable.
>
> Others to consider:
> wicket.apache.org
> spark.apache.org
> cassandra.apache.org (meh on the font, but clean look, good use of
> font face and font color)
> mesos.apache.org
> couchdb.apache.org (less karaf'sh, simple layout. good font faces and
> logo)
>
> -Matt

Keep in mind that ActiveMQ has several subprojects (multiple brokers,
multiple clients) so the site design and layout needs to scale along
with the subprojects

> On 12/15/16 1:40 PM, Clebert Suconic wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 12:40 PM, Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> The Kafka one isn't bad, the Karaf site make me feel like I need to
>>> contact
>>> someone from sales to get a trial license.
>> LOL
>>
>> I think Karaf and Kafka have too much of their project's personality
>> to bring it as a template.
>> I was looking for a plain template. qpid is very clean. the main
>> apache.org is also a very good example.

--
Tim Bish
twitter: @tabish121

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

Posted by Bennet Schulz <ma...@bennet-schulz.de>.
+1

the websites of kafka, mesos and cassandra are nice.
I would contribute as well.

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1, definitely time for a face lift but not sure what the best way to
go about it is.  It would be nice if it could be automated and
generated from Markdown like the Artemis docs, or something like that.

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

Posted by Martyn Taylor <mt...@redhat.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.