Posted to user@whirr.apache.org by Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/25 17:01:51 UTC

Whirr as a REST API / Web Application

Hi All,

How do you feel about being able to deploy Whirr as a REST API / Web
Application inside your network?

How are you currently using Whirr? As a library? As a CLI tool with CRON?

Your feedback is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

-- Andrei Savu / andreisavu.ro

Re: Whirr as a REST API / Web Application

Posted by Frank Scholten <fr...@frankscholten.nl>.
Hi Andrei,

I think that would be really useful!

I currently use Whirr from the command line mostly but I also have
embedded some Whirr code into a simple Spring web app, the Hadoop
configuration factory for instance (WHIRR-472) Having a REST API would
be nice for checking cluster status and starting and stopping the
cluster and enable all sorts of integration.

Cheers,

Frank

Posted by Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks guys for feedback!

Posted by John Conwell <jo...@iamjohn.me>.
I've used Whirr extensively as a library, integrated into our production
system, behind about 7 firewall layers.

I'm not sure how I feel about Whirr being exposed as a REST API.  I think
it would be very useful, but way dangerous.  I'm just thinking about the
cost repercussions if you didn't protect the API properly, or someone
hacked your web server's login credentials.  Amazon gives you one
"Oopsy" forgiveness moment, as in "Oopsy, I accidentally left my 100 node
extra large, high memory hadoop cluster running all weekend".  And after
that you pay for your mistakes.

I love Whirr, but I think its something that should be kept in the most
safe, secure layers of your architecture, and not easily exposed to the
public for people to try and exploit.

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rest API seems like a wonderful idea.
>
> Personally, I am mostly interested in it as a library.
>
> On 25 Ιαν 2012, at 6:01 μ.μ., Andrei Savu wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> How do you feel about being able to deploy Whirr as a REST API / Web
> Application inside your network?
>
> How are you currently using Whirr? As a library? As a CLI tool with CRON?
>
> Your feedback is highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- Andrei Savu / andreisavu.ro
>

> *Ioannis Canellos*
> *
> FuseSource <http://fusesource.com/>
>
> **
> Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com
> **
> Apache Camel <http://camel.apache.org/> Committer
> Apache ServiceMix <http://servicemix.apache.org/>  Committer
> Apache Gora <http://incubator.apache.org/gora/> Committer
> Apache DirectMemory <http://incubator.apache.org/directmemory/> Committer
> *

John C

Re: Whirr as a REST API / Web Application

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.