Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com> on 2022/07/07 16:17:49 UTC

RE: [PROPOSAL] Implement a Java GUI application for browsing PLCs with PLC4X

 I would make the simplest possible example application, in each language
plc4x supports, just to discover and show the browse ‘tree’ or whatever.
Maybe console.

Then with these examples of API usage, people can have at it and there can
be a bake off.

It will be easier to agree on what a ‘sample.go’, sample.rust,
sample.python etc would look like, and a minimal set of functionality than
to pick a language and environment etc.

the samples have to build everywhere plc4x builds and for everyone, the
contrib/ui things can be optional so that we don’t have to setup anything
exotic unless we want to.

From: Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>
<ch...@c-ware.de>
Reply: dev@plc4x.apache.org <de...@plc4x.apache.org> <de...@plc4x.apache.org>
Date: June 26, 2022 at 07:11:52
To: dev@plc4x.apache.org <de...@plc4x.apache.org> <de...@plc4x.apache.org>
Subject:  RE: [PROPOSAL] Implement a Java GUI application for browsing PLCs
with PLC4X

Hi Niclas,

yeah ... I agree ... if the core of such a tool is created the right way,
adding integration-wrappers into other tools should be easy. I guess
sticking to an "as standard as possible ui technology" would help with
this. So, I could imagine that it's easier to integrate a JavaFX ui into
Netbeans, Eclips and IntelliJ than any client-server based web-ui tech.
br/> <
Also, could we consider having one logic core and multiple ui
implementations.

Chris

Posted by Stephen Snow <s4...@gmail.com>.
Yeah I can see that WRT examples.

From: Stephen Snow <s4...@gmail.com> <s4...@gmail.com>
Reply: dev@plc4x.apache.org <de...@plc4x.apache.org> <de...@plc4x.apache.org>
Date: July 11, 2022 at 08:18:22
To: dev@plc4x.apache.org <de...@plc4x.apache.org> <de...@plc4x.apache.org>

Posted by Stephen Snow <s4...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com>.
 you say that like it is a bad thing?

From: Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>
<ch...@c-ware.de>
Reply: dev@plc4x.apache.org <de...@plc4x.apache.org> <de...@plc4x.apache.org>
Date: July 7, 2022 at 18:46:01
To: dev@plc4x.apache.org <de...@plc4x.apache.org> <de...@plc4x.apache.org>

Posted by Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com>.
for each language.
Simple is good. Using that others can write and submit something in their
preferred language and framework for consideration.

It will be easier to understand the tradeoffs and value if you can see it:
what it takes to build and include what it’s dependencies are what the code
looks like

If you are looking for something to include in the project.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.