Posted to axis-tck@ws.apache.org by Jim Driscoll <ji...@sun.com> on 2002/08/06 21:50:46 UTC

Re: Publishing the results of the TCKs

Hi Sam -

I checked with the lawyers, and this was one of the things the is
specifically not allowed by the contract.

You may publish it on a password protected website, or email it to
either jcp@apache.org (all Apache members) or axis-tck@sml.apache.org
(who all have rights to view the TCK either from Apache or elsewhere),
but the sole thing you can say about TCK test status publicly is
"passed" or "failed".

Allow me to explain the reasoning here:  the thought is when you allow
people to publish full test results, you introduce the notion of "mostly
passing", i.e. "We pass 550 TCK tests out of 600!", when really, the
status is "Failed the TCK".

Yes, I know that that isn't Apache's intent in any way.  But the
contract's purpose is to guard against bad intent...

Hope that this isn't too noxious.

Jim

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Jim Driscoll wrote:

> Unless, of course, Apache were willing to certify non-members as being
> covered by the license, which you aren't willing to do - so it's a
> problem created by both sides - Sun's desire for confidentiality, and
> Apache's reluctance to vouch for all her committers.

Vouch for what?  I can understand the argument that Apache needs to
protect access to the TCK itself, but what is the argument for
protectings committers from knowing when their changes break
compatiblitity with the JSR?

Can't we find some middle ground here?

- Sam Ruby

Re: Publishing the results of the TCKs

Posted by Jim Driscoll <ji...@sun.com>.
Sam Ruby wrote:

> Jim Driscoll wrote:
>  > Hi Sam -
>  >
>  > I checked with the lawyers, and this was one of the things the is
>  > specifically not allowed by the contract.
>
> This is very frustrating as you and I specifically talked about doing
> exactly this prior to the Apache/Sun agreement.
>
> But somehow, this is not surprising, as it completes the cycle.  Apache
> sabre rattles.  There is much tension.  Agreement is reached just before
> the deadline.  Yet when it comes time for execution, the story is the
> same "my lawyer won't let me do it."

Actually, it's "your contract won't let you do it".  I'm sorry, but I
don't remember the conversation - I'm assuming it was before the
signing, where things went back on forth a bit.  But I talked with so
many people about this.  If I misled you in any way, or gave you
incorrect information, I'm truly sorry.  I do remember discussing this
at length with Jason, Chuck and a variety of lawyers.  In the end, the
confidentiality provisions were weakened, but not eliminated.  I
personally would have liked them eliminated, but there were good
arguments for allowing them to remain.

I assume you guys all discussed this at length internally as well, but I
was excluded from those discussions, so I couldn't really say.

>  > You may publish it on a password protected website, or email it to
>  > either jcp@apache.org (all Apache members) or axis-tck@sml.apache.org
>  > (who all have rights to view the TCK either from Apache or
>  > elsewhere), but the sole thing you can say about TCK test status
>  > publicly is "passed" or "failed".
>
> Gee, thanks.

Figured you'd be thrilled :-(

>  > Allow me to explain the reasoning here:  the thought is when you
>  > allow people to publish full test results, you introduce the notion
>  > of "mostly passing", i.e. "We pass 550 TCK tests out of 600!", when
>  > really, the status is "Failed the TCK".
>  >
>  > Yes, I know that that isn't Apache's intent in any way.  But the
>  > contract's purpose is to guard against bad intent...
>  >
>  > Hope that this isn't too noxious.
>
> First thing I would like to clearly establish is that this is a
> requirement of Sun and/or the leads for these specifications, and not of
> the JCP itself, right?  After all, IIRC the business terms for JSR 110
> are as follows:

<snip>

Yep, it's a requirement of the contract signed between Sun and Apache.
AFAIK, it's not a JCP requirement.  However, I'm not the JCP expert.
Jason / Chuck are more likely to have the definitive answer there, or I
can check internally if they're unavailable.  I'd have to refer to the
JSPA verbiage, and that's still a work in progress anyway.

> Now let me explain what I was trying to accomplish.  At the present
> time, we pass 100% of the SAA JTCK, and are within two tests of passing
> the JAXRPC TCK.  What I was hoping to do was to set things up so that
> the tests ran automatically and generally successfully.  But at the
> point where somebody - any contributor, really - broke compatibility in
> a nightly build, they would be notified of that fact, generally within
> 24 hours.
>
> Instead, what is being proposed is that unless they are one of the
> select few, not only can't they run these tests themselves, they can't
> even directly view the results of their efforts.
>
> So, yes, I view that as noxious.

Unless, of course, Apache were willing to certify non-members as being
covered by the license, which you aren't willing to do - so it's a
problem created by both sides - Sun's desire for confidentiality, and
Apache's reluctance to vouch for all her committers.

One solution that I can think of is to have the people who are active
committers apply to the board for license permission.  Also noxious, but
it does what you want, eventually.

BTW - congratulations on the team's progress!  Almost there.

Jim

Re: Publishing the results of the TCKs

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Jim Driscoll wrote:
> [...]

 >  If after JSR110 is approved, someone claims compliance and any user
 > finds otherwise, the TCK provides a relatively objective way of
 > proving noncompliance."

Now let me explain what I was trying to accomplish.  At the present
time, we pass 100% of the SAA JTCK, and are within two tests of passing
the JAXRPC TCK.  What I was hoping to do was to set things up so that
the tests ran automatically and generally successfully.  But at the
point where somebody - any contributor, really - broke compatibility in
a nightly build, they would be notified of that fact, generally within
24 hours.

Instead, what is being proposed is that unless they are one of the
select few, not only can't they run these tests themselves, they can't
even directly view the results of their efforts.

- Sam Ruby