Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> on 1999/05/26 17:33:45 UTC

PR#4367: spaces in chunk sizes

PR#4367 complains that the chunk sizes Apache emits occasionally
have whitespace appended.  This does, in fact, seem to violate
section 3.6.1 of draft 06 of HTTP/1.1 -- unless the 'implied *LWS'
rule at the end of section 2.1 applies.  However, the chunk-size
isn't defined as a token, which the implied *LWS rule mentions
explicitly.

The trailing whitespace appears to be getting added at line
502 of src/main/buff.c, and is a correction for a 'short count'
chunk-size estimate.

So.. does 'implied *LWS' apply here, or are we in actual violation?
Roy?
--
#ken    P-)}

Re: PR#4367: spaces in chunk sizes

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
implied LWS is correct, especially considering you can put a
"chunk-extension" on there... and I'm pretty sure Roy even said so...
although I can only find a note from Alexei in the archives (back in jan
97).

At any rate, the HTTP standard has actually been fixed, grr -- it used to
require you to start the chunk size with a non-zero digit, so it wasn't
possible to pad with leading zeroes.  In rev-06 I see that they've come to
their senses and now allow leading zeroes...

So I wouldn't mind switching it to leading zeroes, since I suspect nobody
implements their clients correctly to accept trailing spaces.

Dean