Posted to rpc-dev@xml.apache.org by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com> on 2002/12/03 23:59:09 UTC

Re: New release of Apache XML-RPC

"Andrew Evers" <ae...@redwood.nl> writes:

> > OK, so I got my system hitting the repository over SSH, but it doesn't
> > look like the code Andrew sent me has been committed yet.  Some of it
> > is  there but theres no new branch and XmlRpcClient is still the old
> > version  at least.
> >
> > Should I make a branch with the zip or wait for you to put it up
> > Andrew?
>
> Well, it depends on whether we will use a branch or a tag. I'd prefer
> not to use a branch, bit I don't really mind which. If there is any
> debate, let it be now (I think you guys are awake now, since it's
> evening here). If I don't hear anything I will tag whatever's in CVS
> with the next sensible pre tag and then commit all I have to HEAD. I
> can always back it out later ;)

Depending upon the size of your change, let's either tag what's there
as XMLRPC_1_2_A3, or branch it as XMLRPC_1_2_BRANCH and call the next
release 2.0.  Either way, you're free to work in HEAD.  How big are
your changes?  Do they warrant a major point release?
--

Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>

Re: New release of Apache XML-RPC

Posted by josh lucas <jo...@stonecottage.com>.
On Tuesday, December 3, 2002, at 08:34 PM, Ryan Hoegg wrote:

> Daniel Rall wrote:
>
>> "Andrew Evers" <ae...@redwood.nl> writes:
>>
>>> Well, it depends on whether we will use a branch or a tag. I'd prefer
>>> not to use a branch, bit I don't really mind which. If there is any
>>> debate, let it be now (I think you guys are awake now, since it's
>>> evening here). If I don't hear anything I will tag whatever's in CVS
>>> with the next sensible pre tag and then commit all I have to HEAD. I
>>> can always back it out later ;)
>>>

>> Depending upon the size of your change, let's either tag what's there
>> as XMLRPC_1_2_A3, or branch it as XMLRPC_1_2_BRANCH and call the next
>> release 2.0.  Either way, you're free to work in HEAD.  How big are
>> your changes?  Do they warrant a major point release?
>>

> At this point we have several new features coming in:
> - abstracted transport
> - abstracted logging
> - subpackage reorganization and cleanup, possibly resulting in several
> JAR alternatives for our users
> - possibly the introspection and interceptors patch?
> - possibly Mavenizing the build and website
>
> If we end up with this many new features, I would call that a major
> point release.
>
> Would you guys comment on the above features?  Anything in there you
> would rather we didn't do?  Anything I missed?  Anything need more
> explanation?

Going by the above features, I think a major point release would be
warranted especially if we are going offer various jars for people to
grab.

josh

Re: New release of Apache XML-RPC

Posted by josh lucas <jo...@stonecottage.com>.

Posted by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net>.
Daniel Rall wrote:

>"Andrew Evers" <ae...@redwood.nl> writes:
>

>>Well, it depends on whether we will use a branch or a tag. I'd prefer
>>not to use a branch, bit I don't really mind which. If there is any
>>debate, let it be now (I think you guys are awake now, since it's
>>evening here). If I don't hear anything I will tag whatever's in CVS
>>with the next sensible pre tag and then commit all I have to HEAD. I
>>can always back it out later ;)
>>

>Depending upon the size of your change, let's either tag what's there
>as XMLRPC_1_2_A3, or branch it as XMLRPC_1_2_BRANCH and call the next
>release 2.0.  Either way, you're free to work in HEAD.  How big are
>your changes?  Do they warrant a major point release?

At this point we have several new features coming in:
 - abstracted transport
 - abstracted logging
 - subpackage reorganization and cleanup, possibly resulting in several
JAR alternatives for our users
 - possibly the introspection and interceptors patch?
 - possibly Mavenizing the build and website

If we end up with this many new features, I would call that a major
point release.

Would you guys comment on the above features?  Anything in there you
would rather we didn't do?  Anything I missed?  Anything need more
explanation?

--
Ryan Hoegg
ISIS Networks