Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2007/01/04 07:58:47 UTC

[vote] Establish a list of emeritus committers

Hi,

Vote to operate as
- requiring 2/3rds of the PMC to vote (13), with a majority within
those votes for it to pass (ie, add them all and if the result is >
0). Other votes would be welcome with reasons as advisory, but not
binding.
- Votes can be changed at any time before result is posted.
- Vote is open for at least 72 hours, completing once enough have
voted after that.

I propose to establish a list of emeritus committers.
- Someone can request to be made emeritus at any time they want
- They will be listed as past members of the team (we will set up a
special page for this), but have no karma.
- An emeritus committer can request commit access again at any time
they feel they can be active, and a vote will be held to accept them
or not.
- PMC members will not be made emeritus (unless they chose to stand
down from the PMC).

To start with, anyone who hasn't committed in 12 months will be made
automatically emeritus. ie, this vote is to make the following people
emeritus:
- Pete Kazmier
- Peter Lynch
- Tom Copeland
- Dan Diephouse
- Alex Karasulu
- Ben Walding
- Daniel Rall
- David Eric Pugh
- Geir Magnusson Jr
- Kasper Nielsen
- Kurt Schrader
- Stephane Mor
- Bob McWhirter
- Peter Donald
- Peter Royal
- Johnny R. Ruiz III

[ ] +1, establish list of emeritus committers
[ ] +0, abstain
[ ] -1, do not establish a list of emeritus committers

Cheers,
Brett

Re: [vote] Establish a list of emeritus committers

Posted by Edwin Punzalan <ep...@exist.com>.
+1

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.
+1

On 1/4/07, Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org> wrote:
> Carlos Sanchez wrote:
> >> - Alex Karasulu
>
> Yep been a while.  I should have let you guys know I could go emeritus
> long before.
>
> My apologies.
>
> >> [X] +1, establish list of emeritus committers
>
> Regards,
> Alex

jesse mcconnell
jesse.mcconnell@gmail.com

Re: [vote] Establish a list of emeritus committers

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
+1

On 1/4/07, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Vote to operate as
> - requiring 2/3rds of the PMC to vote (13), with a majority within
> those votes for it to pass (ie, add them all and if the result is >
> 0). Other votes would be welcome with reasons as advisory, but not
> binding.
> - Votes can be changed at any time before result is posted.
> - Vote is open for at least 72 hours, completing once enough have
> voted after that.
>
> I propose to establish a list of emeritus committers.
> - Someone can request to be made emeritus at any time they want
> - They will be listed as past members of the team (we will set up a
> special page for this), but have no karma.
> - An emeritus committer can request commit access again at any time
> they feel they can be active, and a vote will be held to accept them
> or not.
> - PMC members will not be made emeritus (unless they chose to stand
> down from the PMC).
>
> To start with, anyone who hasn't committed in 12 months will be made
> automatically emeritus. ie, this vote is to make the following people
> emeritus:
> - Pete Kazmier
> - Peter Lynch
> - Tom Copeland
> - Dan Diephouse
> - Alex Karasulu
> - Ben Walding
> - Daniel Rall
> - David Eric Pugh
> - Geir Magnusson Jr
> - Kasper Nielsen
> - Kurt Schrader
> - Stephane Mor
> - Bob McWhirter
> - Peter Donald
> - Peter Royal
> - Johnny R. Ruiz III
>
> [ ] +1, establish list of emeritus committers
> [ ] +0, abstain
> [ ] -1, do not establish a list of emeritus committers
>
> Cheers,
> Brett

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.
                             -- The Princess Bride

RE: [vote] Establish a list of emeritus committers

Posted by Vincent Massol <vi...@massol.net>.
+1

-Vincent

Posted by Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.com>.
+1

- Joakim

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
- An emeritus committer can request commit access again at any time
> they feel they can be active, and a vote will be held to accept them
> or not.

I'm not a Maven committer so this is a "peanut gallery" comment, but the
corresponding policy in other similar situations I've seen across Apache is
that karma, or commit rights, or even active Apache membership, or whatever,
are restored simply upon being requested.  That seems like a more community
oriented approach to this sceanrio.

I'm +1 (non-binding) on everything else in the proposal.

Craig

Re: [vote] Establish a list of emeritus committers

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
+1

Emmanuel

[result] Establish a list of emeritus committers

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
We got 15 x +1 binding votes, and 5 x +1 non-binding votes, so the
vote has passed.

I'll:
- do the SVN change (creating a @maven-emeritus group, at least until/
if we find it a new home)
- notify the people listed below

Cheers,
Brett

Posted by John Casey <ca...@gmail.com>.
+1

-john

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Fabrizio Giustina <fg...@apache.org>.
+1
fabrizio

Posted by Rahul Thakur <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1

Rahul

Posted by Trygve Laugstøl <tr...@apache.org>.
Brett Porter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Vote to operate as
> - requiring 2/3rds of the PMC to vote (13), with a majority within those
> votes for it to pass (ie, add them all and if the result is > 0). Other
> votes would be welcome with reasons as advisory, but not binding.
> - Votes can be changed at any time before result is posted.
> - Vote is open for at least 72 hours, completing once enough have voted
> after that.
>
> I propose to establish a list of emeritus committers.
> - Someone can request to be made emeritus at any time they want
> - They will be listed as past members of the team (we will set up a
> special page for this), but have no karma.
> - An emeritus committer can request commit access again at any time they
> feel they can be active, and a vote will be held to accept them or not.
> - PMC members will not be made emeritus (unless they chose to stand down
> from the PMC).
>
> To start with, anyone who hasn't committed in 12 months will be made
> automatically emeritus. ie, this vote is to make the following people
> emeritus:
> - Pete Kazmier
> - Peter Lynch
> - Tom Copeland
> - Dan Diephouse
> - Alex Karasulu
> - Ben Walding
> - Daniel Rall
> - David Eric Pugh
> - Geir Magnusson Jr
> - Kasper Nielsen
> - Kurt Schrader
> - Stephane Mor
> - Bob McWhirter
> - Peter Donald
> - Peter Royal
> - Johnny R. Ruiz III

+1

--
Trygve

Re: [vote] Establish a list of emeritus committers

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Kenney Westerhof wrote:

> - these people should be send a direct e-mail notifying them so they
>  know what's going on. If they've been unactive in such a long
>  period it's higly likely that they don't follow the dev list anymore,
>  and should they want to participate again they'd be in for a big surprise.

A definite +1. People may have shifted onto other projects, and may be
back in the future.

> - How do other projects deal with emeritus committers? Is this
> conforming to
>  apache-wide standards?

I have not yet seen an attempt to make emeritus inactive committers on
any of the other projects I have been involved with, though a better
place to ask this would be on committers@.

An attempt was made a while back to handle the issue of inactive
members. There people were sent emails asking whether they would
voluntarily like to be made emeritus, or whether they planned to
participate again in the future. Only people who actively said "make us
emeritus" were given emeritus status.

The issue of emeritus status is a delicate one, and needs to be handled
diplomatically. A blanket removal of karma without notice should be
avoided IMO.

Regards,
Graham

Re: [vote] Establish a list of emeritus committers

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

> - How do other projects deal with emeritus committers? Is this
> conforming to
>  apache-wide standards?

We had a discussion about that on jakarta-general (was a while ago), and the general feeling is that
karma should only be removed if people stated that they want that to happen. That doesn't mean we
cannot actively ask people if they still want/need the karma (and offering to reinstate when they
get active again).

To be clear : The barrier is higher for me when it involves PMC members and ASF members.
There are a lot of people who become committers and disappear after a short while and a certain
point the karma list gets quite big and not really representing the active community anymore.

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: [vote] Establish a list of emeritus committers

Posted by Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org>.
Hi,

+1

I have some comments though:

- maybe the list could also be kept in svn or svn metadata somewhere
  (perhaps explicitly listing them with no karma, such as @emeritus=ro in
  svn config?) since web pages aren't really good for archiving

- these people should be send a direct e-mail notifying them so they
  know what's going on. If they've been unactive in such a long
  period it's higly likely that they don't follow the dev list anymore,
  and should they want to participate again they'd be in for a big surprise.

- What will exactly happen if somebody wishes to get karma again?
  They've probably shown they were worthy of karma in the past; should
  their commits from > 12 months ago be checked again to see if their contributions
  are 'good enough'? Should they first file patches again like normal non-committers
  that will be evaluated? Or will it be just a quick vote to check for any objections?

- How do other projects deal with emeritus committers? Is this conforming to
  apache-wide standards?

-- Kenney

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
+1