Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Tracy Phillip McLellan <mc...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/12 18:18:56 UTC

Trouble downloading Open Office

I'm having problems downloading Open Office to my desk top.  When I click
on the download on the Open Office web site it loads to my download file.
But then when I click on that download to try to execute the file, nothing
happens.  Can you help me with this problem?

Re: Trouble downloading Open Office

Posted by Don Daugherty <dd...@sunflower.com>.
Clicking on the downloaded file won't work.  You'll need to either
double-click or Right-click and select Open.

Posted by David Rivers <dr...@ihug.co.nz>.
Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 13:18:56 -0500
> Tracy Phillip McLellan <mc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm having problems downloading Open Office to my desk top.  When I click
>> on the download on the Open Office web site it loads to my download file.
>> But then when I click on that download to try to execute the file, nothing
>> happens.  Can you help me with this problem?
> You can verify that the downloaded file is as it left the OpenOffice code factory by the methods described in
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/checksums.html
>
> If your download doesn't pass, do not use it as it is either corrupt/contaminated/incomplete.
Delete that copy and download it again. Wait until the download is
finished before attempting to execute it again.

Re: Trouble downloading Open Office

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 05:11:55 -0500
Tracy Phillip McLellan <mc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not technically proficient, and I'm not sure I understand the language
> that you're using, but it's not a matter of verifying whether or not the
> particular file downloaded to my PC is corrupted or not.  It's a different
> matter thus.  I can download the Open Office suite from the website; the
> problem is that once I download the file and subsequently try to execute it
> to make the final install on my PC, nothing happens.  This happens over and
> over again, not with any one particular Open Office file.

If the downloaded file is corrupt (in any way) it may not install, hence my suggestion that it be verified for integrity before installation is attempted.

If downloaded files consistently do not install on your computer then one must look for other causes for this.  A usual cause is that you (the current user) does not have sufficient administrative privileges.  Another cause may be that the computer antivirus will not allow the installation.

Both of these problems can be resolved, but will usually require Administrator privileges to do so.  In that case one needs to log on as Administrator, but to do this may require that you refer to the person who installed Windows on the computer, or the IT department.

RoryOF

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Trouble downloading Open Office