Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Arthur DiSegna <ad...@authentium.com> on 2005/12/22 22:18:50 UTC

[users@httpd] NameVirtualHost / VirtualHost Scenario

Hello,

I have been thinking about the setup I am working on and wanted to run a
scenario by the list gurus.

My plan is to setup a production apache server with a single IP address
bound to the interface.

A private non routable address will be assigned to the Apache Server.

There will be two public domain names assigned to one public routable IP
address.

For example; vhost1.mydomain.com = 64.233.187.99 and vhost2.mydomain.com
= 64.233.187.99

All requests will pass through a firewall with 64.233.187.99 bound to
firewall's external interface

The firewall will redirect all the requests with a destination port of
80 to the internal IP bound to the Apache server's interface.

The primary purpose of the Apache server is primarily for downloads and
A web browser is hardly used to get the files.

My question:

Some clients have scripts that check the box every 5 minutes to check
for a particular file.

What happens to the client who writes a script pointing to the public IP
address instead of the FQDN of the one server.

The VirtualHost configuration takes advantage of host headers which
don't appear in a direct IP based requests.

????????  Will I have to redo my .conf file to include both IP addresses
???????????

Thanks in advance

Re: [users@httpd] NameVirtualHost / VirtualHost Scenario

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Thursday 22 December 2005 21:18, Arthur DiSegna wrote:

> What happens to the client who writes a script pointing to the public IP
> address instead of the FQDN of the one server.

Just don't let that happen.  Noone works like that (at least not since 1995),
and you can ignore it.  If you set up a dummy default virtualhost (a "nothing
here" page or an error), not even an idiot will try it.

--
Nick Kew