Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Yet Another Ninja <sa...@alexb.ch> on 2009/12/16 12:45:35 UTC

Dear Santa

Dear Santa,

  SA users hope Justin Mason has moved into his newly renovated home and
he find the time & energy to bring the SOUGHT rule magic back to us.
  As this is an Xmas wish, we hope you, Santa Claus, will help him.

Axb
PS: If JM posts a link to his Amazon wishlist, maybe we can all help him
decorate the new place.... :-)

RE: Dear Santa

Posted by R-Elists <li...@abbacomm.net>.

> > do i need to read the apache foundation docs somewhere?
>
> You're of course more than welcome to.  Perhaps the best
> place to start is here [4] and here [5].
>
> [1] http://spamassassin.apache.org/
> [2] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/spamassassin/trunk/CREDITS
> [3] http://www.apache.org/foundation/sponsorship.html
> [4] http://www.apache.org/foundation/
> [5] http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html
>
> Regards,
>
> Daryl

thanks for the info and urls and more Daryl  :-)

 - rh

Re: Dear Santa

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
On 19/12/2009 11:23 AM, R-Elists wrote:
> i would encourage other SA team members to have a wish list and publish.

A number of committers have have added Amazon wishlists to the CREDITS
file included with the distribution.  The most up-to-date version is
available on our website [1] by clicking CREDITS [2] right off the top
of the home page.  Some of the newer committers have not yet added a
wishlist.

> ummm i am confused though... there are projects out there like CentOS that
> are dealing with things and cannot accept
> donations right now that would go towards the project or team salaries...

I think CentOS is accepting hardware and stuff like that.  It's cash
that they're currently not accepting, I believe, probably due to tax
concerns (but I speculate).

> since SA is part of Apache Foundation, do you get paid or can you get paid
> or how does this all work?

The only staff paid by the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) is 1 (or
maybe 2 now) full time network administrator(s).  Everyone else,
including committers, PMC members, PMC chairs/Apache VPs (me), members
(Justin, Theo, me, etc) and board members/VP/President, etc are not paid.

AFAIK our "in-house" lawyer and even the "main PR person" volunteer
their time.

Many committers/etc that do stuff for the ASF work for companies that
pay them to work on ASF software projects as a part of (or their entire)
 their job.  As far as I know there is no-one involved with SpamAssassin
right now that gets paid for their work.  Except for perhaps, Warren
Togami who I believe is employed by RedHat.  I think even Warren donates
a good bit of his own time though.

The ASF gets revenue to pay the network administrator(s), for hardware,
network infra, etc, solely from sponsorship.  Info on that is here. [3]

> as awesome as SA is, i often wonder why the SA team isnt salaried or
> something to that effect.

It's hard to find people willing to pay for what they can get free.  The
best a lot of open source contributors get is consulting work for custom
integrations or what not.

RE: Dear Santa

Posted by R-Elists <li...@abbacomm.net>.

> Hopefully you didn't buy him that brewing book, or we'll
> NEVER get any more rules out of him!  :^)
snip
> Is there anything that would help out the cause,
> hardware-wise? I think I remember Justin saying that privacy
> concerns about the email corpus made sharing the load
> impossible -- might it be possible to share the code so that
> some of us could auto-generate rules based on our own
> ham/spam mailstreams, and then share those rules with you for
> possible SOUGHT inclusion?
> --
> Dave Pooser

there were interesting choices... some seemed like for family time and stuff
too.

i would encourage other SA team members to have a wish list and publish.

we are sincerely sad & apologize that we are not able to buy Christmas
presents for everyone on the SA team

for all the stuff you deal with, you deserve many blessings!

Re: Dear Santa

Posted by Michael Alan Dorman <md...@ironicdesign.com>.
On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 10:06:11 -0600
Dave Pooser <da...@pooserville.com> wrote:
> share the code so that some of us could auto-generate rules based on
> our own ham/spam mailstreams, and then share those rules with you for
> possible SOUGHT inclusion?

I think that's already done, though not well documented; check
$SRC/masses/rule-dev. The blog posts that are referenced in the sought
page on the wiki talk about the process some.

Mike.

Re: Dear Santa

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
And bless you, sir.

Merry Christmas.
{^_^}
Posted by R-Elists <li...@abbacomm.net>.

> It would be nice to be able to throw some cycles at this
> problem, but it might take more more to figure out how to do
> that safely than it's worth?
>
> Anyway, if something gets figured out count me in on
> contributing space CPU time.

couldnt the data be encoded and then unencoded during processing?

...or is it to easy to extract the key from the binary processing program
made for private server processing?

 - rh

Re: Dear Santa

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Saturday 19 December 2009, Dave Pooser wrote:
>> Love that quote. Think I'll steal it.
>
>It's worth stealing. Charles A. Oriez, aka "Socks the Whitehouse Cat," used
>that .sig file on some mailop/anti-spam lists I frequented back in the day.
>He died back in September of '05, and I later learned that the entire time
>I'd "known" him he'd been living with a diagnosis of terminal cancer (they
>gave him six months-- he held on four years); through chemo and all the
>other sufferings he'd stayed energetically involved in fighting spam and
>helping others learn to do so. Talk about sliding across the finish line
>broadside....

That would seem to describe it nicely Dave, and it sounds like he apparently
he lived by that belief.  IMO its a good way to go, cuz at 75, I'm getting
that worn out feeling myself & diabetes is taking its toll.  But I have so
many unfinished projects that if I fell over in the next year, my wife would
have to hire help just to load it into the trash truck, so I don't dare go
till I've finished a few of them. ;-P

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

"Let's show this prehistoric bitch how we do things downtown!"
-- The Ghostbusters

Re: Dear Santa

Posted by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com>.
On 19-Dec-2009, at 14:40, Dave Pooser wrote:
>> Love that quote. Think I'll steal it.
>
> It's worth stealing. Charles A. Oriez, aka "Socks the Whitehouse Cat," used
> that .sig file on some mailop/anti-spam lists I frequented back in the day.
> He died back in September of '05, and I later learned that the entire time
> I'd "known" him he'd been living with a diagnosis of terminal cancer (they
> gave him six months-- he held on four years); through chemo and all the
> other sufferings he'd stayed energetically involved in fighting spam and
> helping others learn to do so. Talk about sliding across the finish line
> broadsideā€¦.

Oh. Well, hell, it's even better now! Thanks for the story.

--
'We'll never make it alive!'
CORRECT. --Small Gods

Re: Dear Santa

Posted by Dave Pooser <da...@pooserville.com>.
> Love that quote. Think I'll steal it.

It's worth stealing. Charles A. Oriez, aka "Socks the Whitehouse Cat," used
that .sig file on some mailop/anti-spam lists I frequented back in the day.
He died back in September of '05, and I later learned that the entire time
I'd "known" him he'd been living with a diagnosis of terminal cancer (they
gave him six months-- he held on four years); through chemo and all the
other sufferings he'd stayed energetically involved in fighting spam and
helping others learn to do so. Talk about sliding across the finish line
broadside....
--
Dave Pooser
Cat-Herder-in-Chief, Pooserville.com
"...Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in one pretty and well-preserved piece, but to slide across the
finish line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, and
shouting GERONIMO!!!" -- Bill McKenna

Re: Dear Santa

Posted by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com>.
On 19-Dec-2009, at 09:06, Dave Pooser wrote:
> On 12/18/09 11:13 PM, "R-Elists" <li...@abbacomm.net> wrote:
> Is there anything that would help out the cause, hardware-wise? I think I
> remember Justin saying that privacy concerns about the email corpus made
> sharing the load impossible -- might it be possible to share the code so
> that some of us could auto-generate rules based on our own ham/spam
> mailstreams, and then share those rules with you for possible SOUGHT
> inclusion?

It would be nice to be able to throw some cycles at this problem, but it might take more more to figure out how to do that safely than it's worth?

Anyway, if something gets figured out count me in on contributing space CPU time.

> "...Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
> safely in one pretty and well-preserved piece, but to slide across the
> finish line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, and
> shouting GERONIMO!!!" -- Bill McKenna

Love that quote. Think I'll steal it.

--
[The PSP] could have voice recognition too, so when you go
	"nyuuurrrrrrrr-uuuuuurrrrrrrrrrr-uuuuuuurrrrrrrrr" you go

Re: Dear Santa

Posted by Dave Pooser <da...@pooserville.com>.

RE: Dear Santa

Re: Dear Santa