Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Colin McCabe <cm...@alumni.cmu.edu> on 2013/04/02 01:32:07 UTC

VOTE: HDFS-347 merge

Hi all,

I think it's time to merge the HDFS-347 branch back to trunk.  It's been under
review and testing for several months, and provides both a performance
advantage, and the ability to use short-circuit local reads without
compromising system security.

Previously, we tried to merge this and the objection was brought up that we
should keep the old, insecure short-circuit local reads around so that
platforms for which secure SCR had not yet been implemented could use it
(e.g. Windows).  This has been addressed-- see HDFS-4538 for details.
 Suresh has also volunteered to maintain the insecure SCR code until secure
SCR can be implemented for Windows.

Please cast your vote by EOD Monday 4/8.

best,
Colin

Re: VOTE: HDFS-347 merge

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 for the merge. Some of the minor changes or discussions happening in
some of the related tasks can be addressed post merge to trunk. The pending
discussions/issues should be fixed before this feature gets merged into
branch-2.

--
http://hortonworks.com/download/

Re: VOTE: HDFS-347 merge

Posted by Tsz Wo Sze <sz...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Colin,

Thanks for filing HDFS-4661.  Will watch it.

For the latest patch in HDFS-347, it seems that there are still bugs in the patch.  I have posted some comments on HDFS-347.

Thanks again.

Nicholas

________________________________

Re: VOTE: HDFS-347 merge

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@alumni.cmu.edu>.

Re: VOTE: HDFS-347 merge

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@alumni.cmu.edu>.

Re: VOTE: HDFS-347 merge

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.
Colin,

--
http://hortonworks.com/download/

Re: VOTE: HDFS-347 merge

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@alumni.cmu.edu>.
Let's extend this vote by another 2 days just in case Nicholas doesn't find
time in his schedule today to comment.

He needs to withdraw his -1 before we can proceed.

Colin

Re: VOTE: HDFS-347 merge

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Colin.

--Send from my Sony mobile.

Re: VOTE: HDFS-347 merge

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@alumni.cmu.edu>.
Hi Azuryy,

Re: VOTE: HDFS-347 merge

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.

Re: VOTE: HDFS-347 merge

Posted by "Aaron T. Myers" <at...@cloudera.com>.
Since the merge vote passed, I have merged the HDFS-347 branch to trunk.
Leaving the JIRA open for now until we also do the merge to branch-2.

Colin, thanks a ton for the monster contribution. This is a long time in
coming.

--
Aaron T. Myers

Re: VOTE: HDFS-347 merge

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@alumni.cmu.edu>.

Re: VOTE: HDFS-347 merge

Posted by "Aaron T. Myers" <at...@cloudera.com>.

Re: VOTE: HDFS-347 merge

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Re: VOTE: HDFS-347 merge

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 9:11 PM, Tsz Wo Sze <sz...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Colin,
>
> We usually conclude the last VOTE before starting a new one.  Otherwise,
> people may be confused between the VOTEs.  (In case you don't know our
> convention.  Please check with someone before starting a VOTE.  Thanks.)
>

> -1
> * The previous VOTE started by Colin has not been concluded.

I can't tell if you're being serious about this... April fools was a few
days ago. This is ridiculous - the previous vote was called 2/17 and
explicitly said it was ending on 2/24. Do you think anyone's confused about
which vote is active a month and a half later?

> * The branch is not ready.  The code misuses DataTransferProtocol.
> Documentation of the new conf properties are missing.  Also, the code in
> the branch needs to be polished.  See HDFS-347 and HDFS-4661 for more
> details.

During the last vote thread, both you and Suresh said you'd actively review
the changes Colin made in response to your review feedback. Then, after
Colin posted a patch to address your complaints, it sat unreviewed for a
month before I reviewed and committed it. Now, Colin calls another vote,
and you find more nit picks in the branch, which again are not new code and
have been there for months.

I don't see how you can possibly think this is a reasonable way of going
about your duties as a reviewer of the branch, nor why you are voting -1
due to a few small nits in the codebase. Actions like these limit the
growth of our contributor base and discourage others from joining our
development community -- I for one am quite impressed with Colin's patience
throughout this ridiculous ordeal, but many others wouldn't have the same
fortitude.

If you find issues with the branch, put up a patch and let's get on with
it. This back-and-forthing is wasting all of our time.

Todd

Re: VOTE: HDFS-347 merge

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.
> We usually conclude the last VOTE before starting a new one.  Otherwise,
> people may be confused between the VOTEs.  (In case you don't know our
> convention.  Please check with someone before starting a VOTE.  Thanks.)
>

> -1
> * The previous VOTE started by Colin has not been concluded.

Nicholas, given that the two voting threads are far apart in time, lets
keep this voting thread alive. So please consider withdrawing -1 on the
basis of this technical reason.

> * The branch is not ready.  The code misuses DataTransferProtocol.
> Documentation of the new conf properties are missing.  Also, the code in
> the branch needs to be polished.  See HDFS-347 and HDFS-4661 for more
> details.

Do you think these cannot be worked on trunk. I think waiting for all the
things complete in a feature branch might slowdown feature development. I
think some of these issues can be addressed in trunk. We could also
consider waiting for all the issues that you have brought up to be
addressed before merging it to the branch-2. Please do post a comment on
HDFS-347 on which of the issues should be addressed before merging to
branch-2.

--
http://hortonworks.com/download/

Re: VOTE: HDFS-347 merge

Posted by Tsz Wo Sze <sz...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Colin,

Thanks for closing the previous VOTE.  (We usually count the numbers of +1's and -1's, and then state whether the vote passes.  Hope that you could include such information next time.)

I withdraw my -1.

Tsz-Wo

The patch in HDFS-4661 has addressed the problem I raised.  Once the previous VOTE has be concluded, I will remove my -1.  Thanks.

Tsz-Wo

Re: VOTE: HDFS-347 merge

Posted by Tsz Wo Sze <sz...@yahoo.com>.

Re: VOTE: HDFS-347 merge