Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by TO...@aol.com on 2001/09/06 01:52:54 UTC

Add mod_gz to httpd-2.0 ( Thread restart )

This is a complete 'rewind' and 'restart' of Justin's
original message (below) which kicked off the
recent discussion.

Since the options have narrowed to just 1... it's all
simpler now.

FWIW: +1 from me.

Yours...
Kevin Kiley

Re: Add mod_gz to httpd-2.0 ( Thread restart )

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 09:15:56PM -0700, Ian Holsman wrote:
> Greg Stein wrote:

> > What does this mean? Total bytes transferred? If so, then why only 16%
> >
> > The number of page requests should be constant, unless mod_gz introduces
> > some kind of caching.
>
> the number of concurrent requests are constant in all of these tests.
> we have 50 processes (spread across 10 machines) doing GET's of a page.
> when a page is retrived is GET's it again (and again..)
> so if the page response is slower, then the pages/second will also be.
>
> we have a more sophisticated comercial machine which can generate better
> traffic, but it is core dumping at the moment so I can run't the tests through it.

Ah! By "page requests down..." you mean page requests *per second* ??

You omitted that "per second", so the statistic made no sense...

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: Add mod_gz to httpd-2.0 ( Thread restart )

Posted by Ian Holsman <ia...@cnet.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

Posted by Brian Pane <bp...@pacbell.net>.
Ian Holsman wrote:

> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 08:05:27PM -0700, Ian Holsman wrote:
>>
>>> Some performance results with mod_gz are available at
>>> http://webperf.org/a2/v25/
>>> (no core dumps.. pages look ok on a real browser while running test)
>>> I'm going to be re-running the tests for a longer period to see if
>>> there are memory leaks (as well as quantify/purify on it next week)
>>>
>>> brief summary:
>>>     * numbers are based on pages going through mod-include
>>>     * once of the runs looks a bit flaky.. and I'm re-running it
>>>     * cpu usage (USR) is VERY high (from 100 without gz to 500)
>>>     * page requests down 16% when using GZ
>>>     * page resposne times are slower with GZ, but have a lower
>>> deviation
>>>

>> The expectation is that the network bandwidth used should be much
>> lower.  The tradeoff is that the CPU should get nailed.  -- justin
>>
> (put another 10 minute gzip run on the site.. this doesn't have the
> spike in the middle)

Do you have mrtg stats on the bandwidth utilization for the two tests?
--Brian

Re: Add mod_gz to httpd-2.0 ( Thread restart )

Posted by Ian Holsman <ia...@cnet.com>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 08:05:27PM -0700, Ian Holsman wrote:
>
>>Some performance results with mod_gz are available at
>>http://webperf.org/a2/v25/
>>(no core dumps.. pages look ok on a real browser while running test)
>>I'm going to be re-running the tests for a longer period to see if
>>there are memory leaks (as well as quantify/purify on it next week)
>>
>>brief summary:
>>	* numbers are based on pages going through mod-include
>>	* once of the runs looks a bit flaky.. and I'm re-running it
>>	* cpu usage (USR) is VERY high (from 100 without gz to 500)
>>	* page requests down 16% when using GZ
>>	* page resposne times are slower with GZ, but have a lower deviation
>>

> The expectation is that the network bandwidth used should be much
> lower.  The tradeoff is that the CPU should get nailed.  -- justin

(put another 10 minute gzip run on the site.. this doesn't have the spike in the middle)

to put the CPU usage in perspective.
we were running hotter than this with mod-include ~1 week ago.
(before brian's & justin's patches)

..Ian

Re: Add mod_gz to httpd-2.0 ( Thread restart )

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@ebuilt.com>.

Posted by Ian Holsman <ia...@cnet.com>.
TOKILEY@aol.com wrote:

> This is a complete 'rewind' and 'restart' of Justin's
> original message (below) which kicked off the
> recent discussion.
>
> Since the options have narrowed to just 1... it's all
> simpler now.
>
> FWIW: +1 from me.

Some performance results with mod_gz are available at
http://webperf.org/a2/v25/
(no core dumps.. pages look ok on a real browser while running test)
I'm going to be re-running the tests for a longer period to see if
there are memory leaks (as well as quantify/purify on it next week)

brief summary:
	* numbers are based on pages going through mod-include
	* once of the runs looks a bit flaky.. and I'm re-running it
	* cpu usage (USR) is VERY high (from 100 without gz to 500)
	* page requests down 16% when using GZ
	* page resposne times are slower with GZ, but have a lower deviation

Kevin..
the offer still stands... If you mail me your module, I'll run it through the same test
..Ian