Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Jan Labanowski <jk...@osc.edu> on 2000/04/26 18:04:49 UTC

Tomcat and Jserv on the same Apache, Was: RE: building JServ

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Alexandros Kotsiras wrote:

> In fact I tried to use the same Apache Installation with both Tomcat and
> JServ "concurrently" and it works.
> At least on NT the apache side  .dll module is the same
> ApacheModuleJServ.dll (64KB) so i am using the existing "jserv.conf" file of
> JServ and i just added some zones for Tomcat. The only trick is to  use a
> different connector port for tomcat (8009) and keep 8007 for JServ. Of
> course JServ should be configured for Manual Mode.
> I found this very useful since i don't want to redeploy the existing
> applications running on JServ to Tomcat but at the same time i want to use
> Tomcat for the new projects.

Thanks for sharing this experience... My worry was not with
servlet containter (Tomcat) and servlet Engine (JServ).
My worry is that from what I heard the mod_jserv in Tomcat is different
from mod_jserv in JServ. Not only different...
They formally both speak the same protocol apj12, but actually the protocol
they are using is different (though again, the name is the same).

At the same time, you can only have one DSO module of the same name,
since they are addressed by the name. Moreover, each DSO module has
to have its own vocabulary for the httpd.conf so the keywords do not
collide (e.g. you cannot use keyword ApJServMount for two
different modules).

So I do not know...   Maybe it is better than I think...
Maybe the {mod_jserv}s from two development efforts are synchronized.
But from what I gues, the Tomcat needs more stuff from Apache than
the JServ, and it needs some extensions to the APJ12 protocol.

I wish someone from among the developers would clarify this for us...
I humbly eat all I said and admit my ignorance if my fears are unjustified.

I am afraid that the small mistake was made at the very beginning
to have the same name for the DSO module (mod_jserv) and the
same keywords for httpd.conf file (Apjxxxxx) for the JServ and Tomcat
development efforts. I know that the goal is to achieve unification one day,
but in the meantime, it is a nightmare for all of us.
All would be avoided if we had a module for tomcat called mod_tomcat
and the keywords would start from TomCat.

Jan K. Labanowski            |    phone: 614-292-9279,  FAX: 614-292-7168
Ohio Supercomputer Center    |    Internet: jkl@osc.edu
1224 Kinnear Rd,             |    http://www.ccl.net/chemistry.html
Columbus, OH 43212-1163      |    http://www.osc.edu/

Re: Tomcat and Jserv on the same Apache, Was: RE: building JServ

Posted by Jean-Luc Rochat <jn...@cybercable.fr>.