Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by David Tonhofer <el...@m-plify.net> on 2003/04/15 12:23:29 UTC

[users@httpd] Interesting interaction between cern_meta module and Location/Directory directives in Apache 2?

Hello,

Just an observation, to see whether anyone found the same. Or should I
log this as a bug in the Apache Bugzilla?

Observed:
=========

Apache error messages that should not occur (but maybe I'm mistaken):

[Tue Apr 15 03:58:44 2003] [error] [client XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX] client denied
by server configuration:
/var/www/htdocs/virtualserver/.web

Notes:
======

1) This has been occurring at my site since yesterday, where I changed
   the Apache setup somewhat (see below). Apparently every request yields
   such a protest.

2) It's evidently mod_cern_meta which causes this as ".web" is that
   module's default directory to get configuration information from.
   That module is indeed active.

3) There are no ".web" directories anywhere.

The filesystem & permissions setup:
===================================

There is a restriction on the filesystem root:

  <Directory />
  	Options FollowSymlinks
	AllowOverride None
	Order allow,deny
	Deny from all
  </Directory>

There is a restriction on the document root:

  DocumentRoot /var/www/htdocs

  <Directory /var/www/htdocs>
	Options Indexes FollowSymlinks
	AllowOverride None
	Order allow,deny
	Deny from all
  </Directory>

Underneath the document root are the virtual servers, which
are opened through 'Location' directives

  <VirtualHost *:80>
	ServerName www.virtualserver.com
	DocumentRoot /var/www/htdocs/virtualserver
	<Location />
		Options Indexes FollowSymlinks
		AllowOverride None
		Order allow,deny
		Allow from all
	</Location>
  </VirtualHost>

Quite simple really....

How to make the messages disappear? Open the Directory on the
DocumentRoot

  <Directory /var/www/htdocs>
	Options Indexes FollowSymlinks
	AllowOverride None