Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED <m_...@yahoo.com> on 2009/08/03 19:12:02 UTC

[users@httpd] Slowness over internet after adding SSL.

I just deployed by web site modified so that some
parts use SSL.  On testing on my LAN, response
is very fast.  However testing with the internet,
response is very slow, even for those parts of
my web site that to not use SSL.  I checked by
temporarily switching back to the old
configuration, and it was fast again.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike.

[users@httpd] Re: Slowness over internet after adding SSL.

Posted by Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED <m_...@yahoo.com>.
On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 18:21:40 +0000, Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:

[...]

Additional tests show that:

With httpd-2.2.8-1.fc7: works well.

With httpd-2.2.3-22.el5.centos.2: excessive DNS, much too slow.

Any thoughts?

Posted by Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED <m_...@yahoo.com>.
On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 17:48:46 +0000, Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 10:15:55 -0700, Jonathan Zuckerman wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Mike -- EMAIL
>>[...]
>>>
>> SSL should go slower, but not on pages that don't use it.  Are you
>> absolutely certain that the pages that don't require SSL are not using
>> it?
>>
> [...]
>
> Pretty sure -- different VirtualHosts; different Directories.  In the
> VirtualHost that does not use it, I have:
>    SSLEngine off
> I tried commenting it out -- no difference. I just looked with WireShark
> -- only port 80.
>
> I emphasize, when tested within my LAN, it is very fast.
>
> Mike.

Looking further with WireShark, the delays are caused by DNS activity
which to not appear at all with the old configuration.  It appears
that it needs to recover information about the path to the target.

I note that in the transition, there were other changes that
might be responsible for the problem.  Mostly I moved some
repeated data into other files which I Include multiple times
in Directories and VirtualHosts. I also use some <IfDefine> to
select ServerName and certificates and keys.

Posted by Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED <m_...@yahoo.com>.
On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 10:15:55 -0700, Jonathan Zuckerman wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Mike -- EMAIL
>[...]
>>
> SSL should go slower, but not on pages that don't use it.  Are you
> absolutely certain that the pages that don't require SSL are not using
> it?

[...]

Re: [users@httpd] Slowness over internet after adding SSL.

Posted by Jonathan Zuckerman <j....@gmail.com>.