Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by tex <gi...@yahoo.it> on 2012/09/05 11:41:12 UTC

Very poor performance when writing into db

Hi,

I've just installed Tomee 1.0 Web Profile, I've copied eclipse* jar into the
lib folder (EclipseLink JPA 2.0 persistence provider) and started the server
with 512MB of heap (on a 4GB Notebook Ubuntu workstation).

The startup of Tomee was fine, my app was deployed but when I run my
datapump process (reading data from CSV and writing to entity beans on MySQL
db) the process is about 40x slower than Glassfish.

Apache tomee 1.0.0 web profile: process 1 csv record every 3 seconds (0.3
records/sec on empty db)
Glassfish 3.1.2.2: process 12 csv records every 1 second (12 records/sec on
empty db)

To test the speed I've put System.out.println messages, maybe Glassfish has
some optimizations for these kind of messages ?

The only strange thing I've noticed is that I've some warnings at tomee
startup:

Can't load log handler "1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler"
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: 1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler
Can't load log handler "1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler"
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: 1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler
Can't load log handler "2localhost.org.apache.juli.FileHandler"
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: 2localhost.org.apache.juli.FileHandler
Can't load log handler "3manager.org.apache.juli.FileHandler"
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: 3manager.org.apache.juli.FileHandler
Can't load log handler "4host-manager.org.apache.juli.FileHandler"
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: 4host-manager.org.apache.juli.FileHandler

I cannot understand, must I configure something into Tomee to speed up my
session/entity beans ?

Many thanks in advance...

Re: Very poor performance when writing into db

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
The warning are clearly weird.

About perf tomee doesnt configure a lot for eclipselink so i think you need
to do it through properties (glassfish has pby some more config).

Some thread stack can help too

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Just share some stacks and we'll understand ;)

Posted by Bjorn Danielsson <bj...@lists.cuspycode.com>.
In a minimalistic test, I got ~20 records per second with
Eclipselink on TomEE with MySQL database on 7200-rpm RAID-1,
and ~140 records/s on an SSD. The filesystem was ext4 with
the default options data=ordered,barrier=1 on both occasions,
and a KVM virtualization layer at the bottom.

Does your app have a lot of concurrency in the JPA transactions?
That's the only situation where I have seen slow performance from
Eclipselink, due to lock wait timeouts in MySQL UPDATE statements.

--
Bjorn Danielsson
Cuspy Code AB