Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org> on 2004/04/09 16:34:19 UTC

[RT] Gump from the user perspective

I read the online part of "User Interface Design for Programmers"
(http://www.joelonsoftware.com/uibook/chapters/fog0000000057.html), and
I immediately thought about applying the lessons learned to gump.

The result so far are three wiki pages (would be a bit long for an e-mail):

    http://wiki.apache.org/gump/ImaginaryUsers
    http://wiki.apache.org/gump/UsageScenarios
    http://wiki.apache.org/gump/UserModel

I'm anxious to get feedback :-D

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons

Component Community -- http://componentplanet.org/
Component Glue      -- http://jicarilla.org/

GumpifiMavenification (was Re: Jakarta Commons Gumpification)

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> Yep, theres lots to discuss about this. We could use any pointers you
> can supply,

Any chance you could use your favourite list archive to look for messages
with 'Maven' in the subject for 'gump' and (more historically)
'jakarta-gump'? [I'm not sure if the eyebrowse index is working or not.]

This might be a lot to ask, but we've had a number of good conversations
with Brett Porter on this topic, and I think you'd find them interesting.
[Gak, eyebrowse does seem dorked still, or I'd point you to there one where
I ask about group/artefact ids.]

Please let me know if this is problem, and if so, I'll forward some salient
ones.

http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/gump_repo/gump_work/update_jakarta-commons.html

> I notice we already have a few commons projects getting run
> by gump.

More than a few, most if not all, see:

http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/jakarta-commons/index.html#All+Projects

http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/jakarta-commons-sandbox/index.html#All+Projects

I'd like to discuss a migration plan whereby we start exercising more and
more to Maven (or use Maven in parallel to Ant) for Gump, *BUT* without too
much destabilization (since you seen plenty of green there). Perhaps pick
projects with minimal dependencies, and start with them.

regards,

Adam

Re: Jakarta Commons Gumpification

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

>>Hey Bubba,
>>

>;-)
>

>>So I've been reviewing the project.xml files in the Jakarta Commons and
>>I see the gumpRepositoryId tag in them. In some its the projects name in
>>others its just "jakarta". Should this be set to something specific? It
>>seems wierd to have multiple project.xml's with the same gump repository
>>id in them?
>>

>I don't know POM, but from a Gump point of view, I believe the name ought
>reference one of these:
>
>    http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/repositories.html

Yes, it looks like these entries should all be "jakarta" for projects in
the Jakarta Commons then.

>I think the contents of the Gump portions of the POMs might be stale. Folks
>generate the GOM (using maven gump) but then often edit by hand, instead of
>regenerating.
>
>I just sent you a message on commons-dev. Hopefully we'll see you back here.

Yep, theres lots to discuss about this. We could use any pointers you
can supply, I notice we already have a few commons projects getting run
by gump.

http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/gump_repo/gump_work/update_jakarta-commons.html

-Mark

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> Hey Bubba,

;-)

Re: [RT] Gump from the user perspective

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
> > I'm sold on this approach.
>
> for good reference, I'm not :-D. I am not a UI expert in any way, but
> I'm trying to learn a little atm. I'm game for trying stuff ;)

I think I'm at a point where I want to step back, and see the big picture. I
am *finally* tinkering with my first fun contribution to Gump, and I've been
down in the bowels way too long. I want to step back, to re-evaluate, and I
like this as a way to get a fresh perspective.

> alas, Adam, just go write up that imaginary user instead of fixing that
> bug! I found its real difficult, since gump already has real users and
> you don't want to make any of those feel stereotyped :-D

I don't see why not. Better that, than not directly considered. We've
discuss Gumpmeisters, but where is the Gumpmeister view verses the normal
human view? We don't have a separation, and the current output is a cluster
'cos of that. My thought is that this can't harm.

Anyway, I'm going to be playing with DependencyDiagram for a while.
Re-inventing wheels (no doubt) but having fun. So, tinkering with
implementation not being visionary. :)

regards,

Adam

Re: [RT] Gump from the user perspective

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
>     http://wiki.apache.org/gump/ImaginaryUsers

First thought, you have a powerful/fun imagination. :)
Second thought, damn -- do you find my resume or something? Whew, maybe not,
I'm kinda spread over a few of them. ;-)
Third thought -- yes, why not. At first I felt this was more joke, than a
valuable step, but why not try to get inside the mindset of expected users?
I can accept that.

>     http://wiki.apache.org/gump/UsageScenarios

I liked these as measures of usability.

>     http://wiki.apache.org/gump/UserModel

I enjoy this total way of looking at the problem, much more end result
centric than feature/fix centric. Nice to get out of the trenches and have
(if not a road map) a vision of the final outcome.

I realize how much I've been limiting myself to what is possible (given my
current state of knowledge of Gump, of Python, and such) and crawling along
at a slow implementation pace. This give the ability to view the future, and
then go off and figure out how to implement it afterwards. I feel there is a
lot more fun in exploring that unknown, and finding solutions to problems,
not just manipulating solutions.

I'm sold on this approach. I say we build on it, and refer to it regularly.
I'll try to add to it (or refine the cases there).

regards

Adam