Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Rod Lockwood <ro...@provide.net> on 2013/01/07 09:25:25 UTC

Re: users Digest 5 Jan 2013 17:18:25 -0000 Issue 255

On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 12:18:25 -0500,
<us...@openoffice.apache.org> wrote:

> Apache OpenOffice 3.4.0 and 3.4.1 manage the user profile differently
> than previous versions. The old user profile is automatically converted
> so that users can keep their extensions and settings. In a minority of
> cases, especially with highly customized profiles (many extensions or
> customizations) the conversion doesn't succeed. Common symptoms are:
> frequent application crashes, problems with dictionaries or thesaurus,
> OpenOffice starting and crashing after a few seconds. To solve this,
> just reset/rename your user profile as explained in the official
> OpenOffice forum.
> http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12426

How many times do you need to do this? I did this when I first installed
AOO and now its doing the same thing. It is also annoying when the
recovery isn’t needed to load the file or when no file exists and it makes
it up. Canceling so you can just load from the file doesn’t do any good.
It just closes and creates the dummy file.

--
Rod

Re: users Digest 5 Jan 2013 17:18:25 -0000 Issue 255

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
On 01/09/2013 01:56 AM, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:

> A few days ago, I asked on the dev list why AOO does not support
> writing in the OOXML formats. I received some very nice replies. Some
> people have valid reasons why supporting OOXML is a bad idea, but I
> expect that this support will creep into AOO eventually.

That is here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@openoffice.apache.org/msg02536.html

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php

Re: users Digest 5 Jan 2013 17:18:25 -0000 Issue 255

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.

On 01/08/2013 07:36 AM, zentao.com wrote:
> Andrew. I'm so pleased to virtually meet/greet you.  I have your Macro
> PDF--awesome help--and have investigated your website a bit since
> installing OO. It made me blink twice to see you responding. I didn't
> think OO wizards would even cast a glance toward newbies.

The pleasure was mine, and thank you for your kind words... I think that
you will find that many of the people in the OpenOffice community are
happy to help.

A few days ago, I asked on the dev list why AOO does not support writing
in the OOXML formats. I received some very nice replies. Some people
have valid reasons why supporting OOXML is a bad idea, but I expect that
this support will creep into AOO eventually.

> What you suggest is what I already do, though not with LO. I just keep
> some machines loaded with original programming that can open the older
> files, and one poor, abused laptop that has the newer build of MS
> Office loaded--POS program.  I have, having once tried OO years ago
> and found it too limited and cumbersome, avoided Open Office. Then, on
> a whim, I decided to try it again after one of my acquaintances
> assured me that, really, it's nothing like when it first started.

If you are looking to learn the deep arts of OO, learn about styles. I
first learned them when I reviewed a document on how to create and use
Master Documents. It was not the material on Master Documents that was
so useful to me (I still have not really used Master Documents), but the
deep tutorial on how to setup and use Styles that mattered.

> feeling, I began to explore the possibility of finally being able to
> reduce my network where I run a host of machines all the way down to
> Win 98 (managed to retire the 3.1 and 95 machines, now) What I had
> hoped was to finally avoid going from machine to machine on the
> network in order to open certain file formats. My office could use the
> space and would thank me very much for a new file cabinet, instead.  ;)
>
> ..Ah well, there it is, then.  Thanks for the heads up.  I'll give up
> that notion, then. =)  I suppose I could knock out a wall for the file
> cabinet.

Side note: If you are ever bored (I have a hard time imaging you bored),
consider helping out. I believe that you have great talent that would be
a great benefit to AOO. I won't even bother listing the areas, because
your talents seem to be sufficiently varied that I am afraid to limit
you. You clearly excel in areas where I am a bit lacking (you have seen
my site, you know what I mean I am sure).

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.

Posted by zentao <ze...@zentao.com>.

Posted by John Hart <jh...@testra.com>.

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
Le 07/01/2013 22:52, Maurice Howe a écrit :
> Helllooo, out there!  We can keep telling folks to redo their bleeding
> profile.  How dumb is that!  Fix it so that's never required, fer Kroist
> sake!  Microsoft never insisted we do that.
Of course it's dumb. It's a major problem. But the code has been released so now we have to wait for the next version and hope that it will be fixed.

Posted by zentao <ze...@zentao.com>.
I agree with Maurice D Howe on this. Forward and backward compatibility
with other major office suites is critical. Right now, I have to use MS
Office to maintain backward compatibility with clients who are still in
the stoneage with old WPD and Lotus installs on their decrepit machines.
However, these clients are not impoverished--not hardly. Just crusty and
set in their ways.

Dawn

D. L. Keur, zentao.com

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.