Posted to user@spark.apache.org by "Fiske, Danny" <Da...@ext.ons.gov.uk> on 2019/07/15 13:58:32 UTC

[PySpark] [SparkR] Is it possible to invoke a PySpark function with a SparkR DataFrame?

Hi all,

Forgive this naïveté, I'm looking for reassurance from some experts!

In the past we created a tailored Spark library for our organisation, implementing Spark functions in Scala with Python and R "wrappers" on top, but the focus on Scala has alienated our analysts/statisticians/data scientists and collaboration is important for us (yeah... we're aware that your SDKs are very similar across languages... :/ ). We'd like to see if we could forego the Scala facet in order to present the source code in a language more familiar to users and internal contributors.

We'd ideally write our functions with PySpark and potentially create a SparkR "wrapper" over the top, leading to the question:

Given a function written with PySpark that accepts a DataFrame parameter, is there a way to invoke this function using a SparkR DataFrame?

Is there any reason to pursue this? Is it even possible?

Many thanks,

Danny

For the latest data on the economy and society, consult our website at http://www.ons.gov.uk

Please Note:  Incoming and outgoing email messages are routinely monitored for compliance with our policy
on the use of electronic communications

Legal Disclaimer:  Any views expressed by the sender of this message are not necessarily those of the
Office for National Statistics

Re: [PySpark] [SparkR] Is it possible to invoke a PySpark function with a SparkR DataFrame?

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>.
Not currently in Spark.

However, there are systems out there that can share DataFrame between languages on top of Spark - it’s not calling the python UDF directly but you can pass the DataFrame to python and then .map(UDF) that way.

For the latest data on the economy and society, consult our website at http://www.ons.gov.uk<http://www.ons.gov.uk/>