Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2007/09/06 16:16:00 UTC

Re: java.net.SocketException: Operation timed out: connect:could be due to invalid address

On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 21:19 +0530, Viswasarathy Rajasekeran wrote:
> Guys,
>
> Can any one help me out in resolving  "java.net.SocketException: Operation
> timed out: connect:could be due to invalid address"
>

> /*
>  * Created on Sep 5, 2007
>  *
>  * To change the template for this generated file go to
>  * Window&gt;Preferences&gt;Java&gt;Code Generation&gt;Code and Comments
>  */
> package com;
>
> /**
>  * @author naranapattyk
>  *
>  * To change the template for this generated type comment go to
>  * Window&gt;Preferences&gt;Java&gt;Code Generation&gt;Code and Comments
>  */
> import java.io.BufferedReader;
>   import java.io.InputStreamReader;
>   import java.io.OutputStreamWriter;
>   import java.io.Writer;
>   import java.net.Socket;
>
>   import javax.net.ssl.SSLSocketFactory;
>
>   public class Test {
>
>          public static final String TARGET_HTTPS_SERVER =
> "www.verisign.com";
>          public static final int    TARGET_HTTPS_PORT   = 443;
>
>          public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception {
>
>            Socket socket = SSLSocketFactory.getDefault().
>                  createSocket(TARGET_HTTPS_SERVER, TARGET_HTTPS_PORT);
>            try {
>                  Writer out = new OutputStreamWriter(
>                         socket.getOutputStream(), "ISO-8859-1");
>                  out.write("GET / HTTP/1.1\r\n");
>                  out.write("Host: " + TARGET_HTTPS_SERVER + ":" +
>                          TARGET_HTTPS_PORT + "\r\n");
>                  out.write("Agent: SSL-TEST\r\n");
>                  out.write("\r\n");
>                  out.flush();
>                  BufferedReader in = new BufferedReader(
>                         new InputStreamReader(socket.getInputStream(),
> "ISO-8859-1"));
>                  String line = null;
>                  while ((line = in.readLine()) != null) {
>                         System.out.println(line);
>                  }
>            } finally {
>                  socket.close();
>            }
>          }
>   }
>

> I tried running the above code in two different network
>
> 1) System with proxy setting - execution failed got
> "java.net.SocketException: Operation timed out: connect:could be due to
> invalid address"
> 2) System without proxy settings -  executed sucessfully
>
> I got  this code from "http://commons.apache.org/httpclient/sslguide.html"
> This code is to test the SSL and JSSE configuration.
>

> can anyone help me out to make this code run successfully in the system
> having proxy settings enabled.

Viswa,

System proxy settings do not apply to plain Sockets. You can use
HttpClient to establish a secure tunnel via a proxy, see this sample:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/httpcomponents/oac.hc3x/trunk/src/examples/ProxyTunnelDemo.java

Oleg