Posted to dev@santuario.apache.org by "Stephen Chell (DSL AK)" <St...@datacom.co.nz> on 2004/04/19 06:47:20 UTC

XMLSignatureException: The requested algorithm ... does not exist

I'm getting the following exception in Websphere Application Server 5.1
(which uses JRE 1.4.1) when I attempt to instantiate an XMLSignature object
from a fragment of XML.

org.apache.xml.security.signature.XMLSignatureException: The requested
algorithm http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#dsa-sha1
<http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#dsa-sha1>  does not exist. Original
Message was: null
Original Exception was java.lang.NullPointerException
 at
org.apache.xml.security.algorithms.SignatureAlgorithm.<init>(SignatureAlgori
thm.java:217)
 at org.apache.xml.security.signature.SignedInfo.<init>(SignedInfo.java:213)
 at
org.apache.xml.security.signature.XMLSignature.<init>(XMLSignature.java:281)
 at
nz.govt.ssc.eai.common.message.EAIMessage.verifyMessageSignature(EAIMessage.
java:434)
 ... 24 more

It works fine in Tomcat 4.1.29 using JDK 1.4.2_04, but in Websphere I get
the above exception.  My understanding was that the crypto algorithms come
built in to JDK 1.4 and above.  Is that correct?  If so shouldn't it work
with WebSphere, which uses 1.4.1?

Thanks in advance ...
Steve