Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Krish B <ww...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/20 07:58:21 UTC

Tomcat releases

hi,

I have a couple of basic question about tomcat releases.

1) 5.5.17 is in beta. Will there be a release of 5.5.17 final and then work
will go on to release 5.5.18.
2) When will Tomcat 6.0 be releases\d? Will there be more 5.5.X releases
before 6.0?

Regards
Krish

Re: Tomcat releases

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
5.5.17 was called beta because it needed to be called something. It could
also be called alpha, moe, larry, or curly too. But it can't quite be called
stable.

But it CAN be called stable once some time (typically a few days) go by and
the Release Manager calls for a vote on stability of the release. If the
consensus is stable - then the release is called 5.5.17 stable. But there
aren't any changes to 5.5.17 beta vs stable. Its a perception of the release.

Tomcat 6 will be released in many alphas, betas, then a stable. Timeframes
are unknown but there is a goal for release when Servlet spec 2.5 is final.

There will be more 5.5.X releases but given the historical trend, 5.5 changes
  will be minimized in favor of 6 after tomcat 6 is released and stable.

-Tim