Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Roy Wilson <de...@bellatlantic.net> on 2000/08/08 21:11:06 UTC

Tomcat/Catalina development process

Hi,
	With all the development activity on Tomcat/Catalina, I wonder who has
profiled their code with the Heap analyzer a la

	java -Xhprof:help

as described at developer.java.sun.com in the tutorial "Writing Advanced
Applications, Chapter 8". I'm pretty sure Craig M. has and I think Costin
M. may have.
      If I can get any (versus can't get no) satisfaction from learning
how to use the profiler on a couple of examples, I may volunteer to do a
static profile of certain Tomcat/Catalina classes beyond what Craig
already did in his analysis.
	In their recent book "Java Platform Performance", Steve Wilson
(Engineering Manager of the Java Performance Team at Sun, no relation)
and Jeff Kesselman claim that profiling is part of a performance process
that "needs to be part of your overall software development plan". Does
it?

Roy

Re: Tomcat/Catalina development process

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
I use OptimizeIt most of the time, I only used hprof few times.

Costin