Posted to user-java@ibatis.apache.org by François Schiettecatte <fs...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/20 14:18:10 UTC

Question about 'jdbcType='

Hi

I remember seeing something about "jdbcType=" not being needed anymore in xml maps for columns which can contain NULL values, is that the case or am I mis-remmembering?

Cheers

François

--
François Schiettecatte
http://fschiettecatte.wordpress.com/

RE: Question about 'jdbcType='

Posted by Bekkum Odd-Rune <Od...@imr.no>.
Could it be this?

orb

Hi.

To get it to work I've added :OTHER on all INSERT and UPDATE statements.
I can do check out and build and test it tomorrow.
I've created Jira ticket IBATIS-762.

Thanks,
Odd-Rune.

Thanks.  A few others have reported this, but until now I didn't understand what was happening.  It's unusual for Postgres to allow Types.OTHER for setNull.  Indeed I did remove that code.  I don't think it should be a problem to put it back.  I'll try to commit something tonight, and if you're willing to check out from SVN and do a build to test it out, that would be great.

If you get a chance, could you file a Jira ticket for this?

Thanks much,
Clinton

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 6:34 AM, Bekkum Odd-Rune <Od...@imr.no>> wrote:
Hi.

I've used ibatis 2.3.4, and are now starting to use 3.0.
I'm using Postgres 8.4.

I'm trying to figure out why I have to specify jdbcType on those columns that can be set to null.
Why was the default "Types.OTHER" removed?

Version 2.3.4:
from ParameterMap.java
      if (jdbcType != JdbcTypeRegistry.UNKNOWN_TYPE) {
        ps.setNull(i + 1, jdbcType);
      } else {
        ps.setNull(i + 1, Types.OTHER);
      }

Version 3.0.242:
from BaseTypeHandler.java
    if (parameter == null) {
      if (jdbcType == null) {
        throw new TypeException("JDBC requires that the JdbcType must be specified for all nullable parameters.");
      }
      ps.setNull(i, jdbcType.TYPE_CODE);
    } else {
      setNonNullParameter(ps, i, parameter, jdbcType);
    }

Thanks,
Odd-Rune.

Re: Question about 'jdbcType='

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
That is the case for most situations, but make sure to grab the latest
release.

It's still a best practice and a JDBC requirement.  All iBATIS will do is
fill it in with Types.OBJECT or Types.Other to try to force the null.

Clinton