Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Tamas Jambor <ja...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/15 19:22:10 UTC

getAllOtherItems

hi,

I have just spotted a possible bug in AbstractRecommender, the
getAllOtherItems only gets items if there is at least one co-rated item
between the target user and other users. For example if there are only
two users in the system and they didn't co-rate any items than this
method returns nothing.

Tamas

Re: getAllOtherItems

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
This is definitely true and in a few very sparse problems, these might even
be usable recommendations.

In general, having some cooccurrence is a useful heuristic.  If you find it
useful, you can replace the candidate strategy.

A good example of an SVD-like algorithm that could produce strong
recommendations with no-cooccurrence, see here:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1006.2156

We don't much support side information in Mahout so this the candidate set
problem associated with these models isn't an issue yet, but at some point
using these models might be good.  The primary benefit would be better
performance in cold-start situations.

Re: getAllOtherItems

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
(True, the SVD's real benefit is that it can build more user-user
and/or item-item connections by squeezing the data down into many
fewer dimensions. It's making more items be co-rated in a sense.)

Re: getAllOtherItems

Posted by Tamas Jambor <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: getAllOtherItems

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.
Hi Tamas,

are you looking at the current trunk of Mahout 0.4? We made the method
use a customizable "CandidateItemsStrategy" implementation lately. I
guess you're talking about
PreferredItemsNeighborhoodCandidateItemsStrategy then which is the
default implementation.

What talk about is actually not a bug, if there are no co-rated items
it's absolutely logical that nothing can be recommended. In a real world
application you would maybe want to show the user the latest or overall
top-rated items as a workaround (just to show them something).

--sebastian

Re: getAllOtherItems

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
From http://people.apache.org/~hossman/#threadhijack

When starting a new discussion on a mailing list, please do not reply to
an existing message, instead start a fresh email.  Even if you change the
subject line of your email, other mail headers still track which thread
you replied to and your question is "hidden" in that thread and gets less
attention.   It makes following discussions in the mailing list archives
particularly difficult.

See Also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DonDiego/Thread_hijacking