Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ryszard Lach <rl...@id.pl> on 2002/07/28 23:58:32 UTC

warp connector and number of connecionst

Hi!

What does maxProcessors attribute in warp connector mean ? I thought it
is the total number of connections between apache and the engine the
connector was defined in, but I see there is many times more established
tcp connections between my apache and tomcat then defined in
maxProcessors. Maybe it is the number of connections for every
application ?

Richard.

--
"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they
fight you. Then you win." - Mohandas Gandhi.

Re: warp connector and number of connecionst

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Michael Locasto wrote:

> Milt,
>
> You're absolutely right. WARP isn't replaced or deprecated. The
> wires in my head get crossed a bit now and then :) I apologize for
> causing any confusion.
>
> I was under the impression that in 4.1.x, Coyote could handle the
> both the Java side of AJP13/14, and HTTP 1.1, so it can be used to
> run Tomcat standalone or behind a webserver.

That very well may be the case -- I find keeping up with what's going
on with the connectors one of the most confusing and least documented
(there's a relationship there :-) parts of Tomcat.  Also, I haven't
really looked at the 4.1.X stuff yet, I've been working with 4.0.X.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Systems and Technology Services (STS)
mepstein@uiuc.edu

Re: warp connector and number of connecionst

Posted by Michael Locasto <lo...@cs.columbia.edu>.
Milt,

You're absolutely right. WARP isn't replaced or deprecated. The wires in
my head get crossed a bit now and then :) I apologize for causing any
confusion.

I was under the impression that in 4.1.x, Coyote could handle the both the
Java side of AJP13/14, and HTTP 1.1, so it can be used to run Tomcat
standalone or behind a webserver.

Regards,
Michael Locasto

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: warp connector and number of connecionst

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.

Posted by "Michael E. Locasto" <lo...@cs.columbia.edu>.
I'm assuming you're using some 4.0.x version, I think warp has been
deprecated and replaced by Coyote in 4.1.

This document isn't of much use...

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/config/warp.html

but you can probably find out the answer in the source
org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector

I believe that maxProcessors represents the number of threads that will be
created to handle request/response pairs. However, each thread can probably
handle a number of open connections.

In the following config entry, perhaps acceptCount is the number of
connections each "processor" can handle.

<Connector className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector"
     enableLookups="true" appBase="webapps"
     acceptCount="10" debug="0"/>

The source would be your best bet.

Regards,