Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Duncan Smith <ds...@deckertelecom.net> on 2004/02/11 18:17:30 UTC

javax.mail

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong mailing list but I think most people here
are Java programmers so:

I am using javax.mail to send a mail to myself if a particular problem
occurs on the server.  My code seems to work but, but it does not use
the smtp server which I am specifying. I cannot find a problem in my
code as it seems to be identical to examples which I have found.

I use the line:
props.put("mail.smtp.host", "mysmtphost");

to specify the smtp server (which is on a differant computer) but the
mail is being sent through the smtp server running on the same machine
as the jsp. Has anyone else had this problem at all, or am I just doing
something wrong?

-Duncan

Re: javax.mail

Posted by Jerry Ford <jf...@katzenjammer.us>.
Just a guess here, but have you tried using a fully qualified domain
name for the host, as mysmtphost.mydomain.com?

Jerry

Re: javax.mail

Posted by Jerry Ford <jf...@katzenjammer.us>.

Re: javax.mail

Posted by Dwayne Ghant <dg...@temple.edu>.
You don't need a SMTP server to send mail . Technically speaking the
protocol it self does the sending and
not the server.

Duncan Smith wrote:

>Hi, sorry if this is the wrong mailing list but I think most people here
>are Java programmers so:
>
>I am using javax.mail to send a mail to myself if a particular problem
>occurs on the server.  My code seems to work but, but it does not use
>the smtp server which I am specifying. I cannot find a problem in my
>code as it seems to be identical to examples which I have found.
>
>I use the line:
>props.put("mail.smtp.host", "mysmtphost");

Make sure that <mail.smtp.host> allows relaying!

>to specify the smtp server (which is on a differant computer) but the
>mail is being sent through the smtp server running on the same machine
>as the jsp. Has anyone else had this problem at all, or am I just doing
>something wrong?
>
>-Duncan

Dwayne A. Ghant
Application Developer