Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Matthias Baetens <ba...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/21 11:59:16 UTC

Beam Summit London 2018

Hi everyone,

We are happy to invite you to the first Beam Summit in London.

The summit will be held in London at Level39
<https://goo.gl/maps/LAC4haDzSzR2> on *October 1 and 2.*
You can register to attend for free on the Eventbrite page
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/beam-summit-london-2018-tickets-49100625292>.

If you are interested in talking, please check our CfP form
<https://goo.gl/forms/nrZOCC1JwEfLtKfA2> and submit a talk!

If you or your company is interested in helping out or sponsoring the
summit (to keep it free), you can check out the sponsor booklet
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RnZ52rGaB6BR-EKneBcabdMcg9Pl7z9M/view?usp=sharing>
.

We will soon launch a blogpost with more details and announce the agenda
closer to date.

Thanks to everyone who helped make this happen, looking forward to
welcoming you all in London!

The Events & Meetups Group

Re: Beam Summit London 2018

Posted by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@google.com>.
Hi there,

We'll have 20min talks with 10min for Q&A, so 30min total.

Re: Beam Summit London 2018

Posted by Pascal Gula <pa...@plantix.net>.
Hi,
here is a copy of my proposal so that anyone interested can give also
feedback here:

Title:

"Lesson Learned from Migrating to Apache Beam for Geo-Data Visualisation"

"Any company that wants to establish data-driven processes needs to set up
specific tools for its data infrastructure to perform and automate those
tasks. Apache Beam is one of the most promising abstractions since
Hadoop/Spark established themselves as a de facto standard. This
presentation will highlight some of the functionalities of Apache Beam
through a real-life use case (data processing pipelines for geo-data
visualisation). It will also point out some current limitations and see how
it can evolve to fill those gaps. We will lastly illustrate the benefit of
using such approach for other use cases, such as machine learning."

Additional Info:
"
Our implementation is currently batch oriented but might be adapted to fit
a streaming use-case.
The points I would like to point out:
- missing but easy to develop IO connectors for Python (I will soon submit
a python version of mongoDB IO connector, see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-5148
- designing pipelines which includes nested pipelines: currently not
possible directly but I already discussed about some early work with
someone on the Dev mailing list
- talking about the usefulness of Metrics which is not so much highlighted
in the docs, or I missed them the first pass.
Lastly, I would mention other use-case where we will use Beam internally
(BI, Machine Learning)
I can reorient this presentation at some extent if you would like to
highlight some other features.
"

Cheers,
Pascal

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 12:12 PM, javier ramirez <

Re: Beam Summit London 2018

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>.
Beam Python currently works on the Local, Dataflow, and (mostly) Flink
runners. As runners migrate onto the new portability framework, they'll get
Python (and Go, and future SDKs) for free.

Re: Beam Summit London 2018

Posted by Matthias Baetens <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hey everyone!

Re: Beam Summit London 2018