Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Nick Rosser <nr...@salmonllc.com> on 2012/05/03 19:28:50 UTC

OFBiz BigFish eCommerce Enhancements

OFBiz user community:

A quick update for the BigFish eCommerce project. For more details
please visit http://bigfish.salmonllc.com. The best way to view what
this is all about is to click on the "Demo" link and play around. The
Fashion House and Electronic Store demos show the majority of features
that are available.

Significant feature enhancements since the last release are as follows:

** Many small enhancements and fixes, in both the eCommerce and Admin
modules

** Rotating Carousel: Fashion House and Electronic Store both have
implementation examples. Content maintained in Admin Module (Content /
Home page spots).

** QuickLook on Product Listing Page (PLP): prototype available, still
needs some tweaks to control the transition

** Product "Variant" enhancements. Check out the Fashion House demo at
http://bigfish.salmonllc.com:8082/osafe/control/main. Click on Apparel /
Blouses. Play with the "swatches", works very well in Product Detail
Page. Also integrated into the SOLR facets. On the Fashion House demo
execute a site search for "pink" -- you'll see the pink variant image of
the "3/4 sleeve button down". Search for "white" and you'll see the
white version. Works nicely.

** Mega Menu. Both Fashion House and Electronic Store demos have
examples of overriding the standard navigation drop-down with a more
expansive "mega menu". Content managed in Admin Module (Content /
Product Category Content).

** Under the covers (CSS): we've spent a lot of time consolidating and
cleaning up the CSS, for both eCommerce and Admin. For adopters this
should greatly simplify styling for your desired look-and-feel. Tools in
the Admin Module (Admin / Tools) to store new style sheets and switch
CSS files. Currently working on alternate styles for the Admin Module
(for some reason folks don't seem to like our classic "in your face
orange" styling!).

** Admin Module, enhancements to support all additional features,
enhanced Order Status changes (on the Orders tab).

ROAD MAP ...

For a complete list of features, what's coming soon, and our road map go
to http://bigfish.salmonllc.com/bfFeatures.html.

There was some previous interest in the multi-site capability of
BigFish. We've made some baseline changes to control the separation of
Product catalog, and the Admin Module understands this separation. We
have a clear idea as to how to separate out the other content (home
page, static pages etc.) and will be implementing this shortly.

NEW CLIENTS ...

The community may be interested to know that we're working on two client
implementations, both decent mid-sized companies. Our general sales
prospecting efforts are beginning to pick up some momentum and we
typically have 2 client demos each week ... obviously hoping that we
will be converting some of these into real clients over the coming weeks
and months. We've also found that the BigFish solution stacks up quite
well when comparing to Magento and other pay-for competitors. We don't
have any particular "white papers" or similar documentation but
obviously the price point is a very attractive feature. In terms of
integration we are leveraging our custom software history as a way to
ensure prospects of our capability and our ability to implement a
robust, stable, expandable and flexible solution. The rich functionality
of the OFBiz baseline is key here -- and every BigFish implementation is
by nature an OFBiz implementation so hopefully this will bring more
attention to the OFBiz project during the rest of this year.

As always, comments, questions, suggestions are welcome!

--
Best Regards,

Nick Rosser
nrosser@salmonllc.com
O: 516.742.7888 x221
C: 516.901.1720

Re: OFBiz BigFish eCommerce Enhancements

Posted by Nick Rosser <nr...@salmonllc.com>.
One other important point here:

For our client implementations we are typically dealing with retailers
who have a back-end ERP fulfillment system already. This will take
orders from eComm, customer service calls, stores, catalog orders etc.
So they are typically using BigFish for eComm and existing ERP for
everything else.

Our approach for these types of retailers is to provide a user friendly
XML interface whereby the retailer provides daily updates of products,
including variants. The BigFish XML Loader will process the XML file and
make the appropriate updates. So, for our current clients this is how
Product information is typically updated, and all systems remain in
sync. The XML load jobs are wrapped into services which are wrapped into
scheduled jobs -- we essentially poll for files, and any files found are
processed and logged.

That's not to say that we shouldn't allow for Variants to be managed and
added via the Admin Module, just to let you know that our priority has
been in XML feed processing. You may also be interested to know that the
XML feeds is much more encompassing than just products:

INCOMING (from client ERP to BigFish):
Products
Order Status Changes
Product Ratings
Stores

OUTGOING (from BigFish to client ERP):
Customers
Orders
Contact-Us Events
Request Catalog Requests

All wrapped in services and scheduled jobs.

Best Regards,

Nick Rosser
nrosser@salmonllc.com
O: 516.742.7888 x221
C: 516.901.1720

Posted by Nick Rosser <nr...@salmonllc.com>.

Posted by Ofbiz 开发 <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nick,

Re: OFBiz BigFish eCommerce Enhancements [integrate with Postgresql]

Posted by Richard Fleming <ad...@thebva.com>.
Do you have any configuration instructions??

Thanks
-Rick

________________________________
Posted by Nick Rosser <nr...@salmonllc.com>.
Rick,

Posted by Nick Rosser <nr...@salmonllc.com>.
Rick,

Posted by Nick Rosser <nr...@salmonllc.com>.

Posted by Deepak Agarwal <de...@paxcel.net>.
> [...]

>>> converting some of these into real clients over the coming weeks and
>>> months. We've also found that the BigFish solution stacks up quite well
>>> when comparing to Magento and other pay-for competitors. We don't have any
>>> particular "white papers" or similar documentation but obviously the price
>>> point is a very attractive feature. In terms of integration we are
>>> leveraging our custom software history as a way to ensure prospects of our
>>> capability and our ability to implement a robust, stable, expandable and
>>> flexible solution. The rich functionality of the OFBiz baseline is key here
>>> -- and every BigFish implementation is by nature an OFBiz implementation so
>>> hopefully this will bring more attention to the OFBiz project during the
>>> rest of this year.
>>>
>>> As always, comments, questions, suggestions are welcome!

Deepak Agarwal,

Paxcel Technologies Pvt Ltd.
Hartron Complex, Sector 18, Gurgaon, India.
E-Mail: deepak.agarwal@paxcel.net
Mobile: +91 9910322604

OFBiz BigFish eCommerce Enhancements

Posted by Nick Rosser <nr...@salmonllc.com>.