Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Ian Roughley <ia...@fdar.com> on 2007/01/30 16:58:24 UTC

Proposed change to archetype

I have been looking through the s2 maven archetypes, and would like to
propose that we don't include resources that are at a package level
(i.e. validation and conversion).  The reason being that maven2
currently does not support this feature (see
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/ARCHETYPE-54), so for a groupId of
"com.test" the directory structure becomes:

/src/main/java/com/test/HelloWorldAction
/src/main/resources/som/myComp/myApp/HelloWorldAction-validation.xml
/src/main/resources/som/myComp/myApp/IndexAction.properties
/src/main/resources/som/myComp/myApp/IndexAction-conversion.properties

I think having the resources in the wrong directory is more confusing
that not having them.  Once ARCHETYPE-54 is implemented we can go add
them back in.

What does everyone think?

/Ian

Re: Proposed change to archetype

Posted by Rene Gielen <gi...@it-neering.net>.
+1!

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
I'd also like to try a full-fledged zero-config MailReader.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

Posted by Ian Roughley <ia...@fdar.com>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
The blank application contains the files from the bootstrap tutorial.

* http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/bootstrap.html

The tutorial files are put "out of the way" so that people don't need
to delete them just to get started. But, they are still there for
reference. So, no, don't make the same changes, and, later, I'd like
to change the achetype back.

On 1/31/07, Ian Roughley <ia...@fdar.com> wrote:
> I was going to run with this.  Did you want me to make the same
> deletions to the blank application?  After all, since they are not in
> the correct directory, the files are not being used.
>
> /Ian
>

> Ted Husted wrote:
> > Once things are sorted out, it would be nice to revert it to match the
> > Struts Blank application, but for now, it seems like we should strip
> > it down.
> >
> > On 1/30/07, Ian Roughley <ia...@fdar.com> wrote:
> >> I have been looking through the s2 maven archetypes, and would like to
> >> propose that we don't include resources that are at a package level
> >> (i.e. validation and conversion).  The reason being that maven2
> >> currently does not support this feature (see
> >> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/ARCHETYPE-54), so for a groupId of
> >> "com.test" the directory structure becomes:
> >>
> >> /src/main/java/com/test/HelloWorldAction
> >> /src/main/resources/som/myComp/myApp/HelloWorldAction-validation.xml
> >> /src/main/resources/som/myComp/myApp/IndexAction.properties
> >> /src/main/resources/som/myComp/myApp/IndexAction-conversion.properties
> >>
> >> I think having the resources in the wrong directory is more confusing
> >> that not having them.  Once ARCHETYPE-54 is implemented we can go add
> >> them back in.
> >>
> >> What does everyone think?
> >>
> >> /Ian

HTH, Ted.