Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <aa...@apache.org> on 2008/04/10 15:27:25 UTC

Looking for home for DBPatch Ant task

I developed an Ant task to maintain an evolving database schema via a
series of SQL scripts called "db patches". Now looking for an advice
from the Ant community on what would be a good home for such task.

Some background... The task was developed by a single ASF committer
(me) in the course of Apache Cayenne development [1]. Cayenne project
already includes a number of Cayenne-specific Ant tasks, but this one
sticks out in that it has nothing to do with Cayenne. It is a generic
task that any project with a database can use. So Cayenne is not a
good home for it.

Since it is a general-purpose task, making it an Ant core or an
optional task seems appropriate. It requires no incubation or a code
donation grant, as it was developed 100% within the ASF. Also it has
no external dependencies except for Ant (and a runtime dependency on a
JDBC driver).

On the other hand it implies a certain simple workflow, so it is
somewhat different form say Copy or Tar.

Also it is small enough to maintain it as a standalone project.

So what are the thoughts of the Ant developers on that?

Thanks,
Andrus Adamchik

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cayenne/sandbox/DBPatch/

Re: Looking for home for DBPatch Ant task

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <aa...@apache.org>.
On Apr 22, 2008, at 11:54 AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>> * figure out how to release
>
> Get the Ant community more involved would be an important point here.

Totally. I will need help from the Ant dev community with the release
tasks. And also it goes without saying that if anyone is interested in
the *development* of dbpatch, or has questions, let's discuss it here.

Thanks,
Andrus

Re: Looking for home for DBPatch Ant task

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008, Andrus Adamchik <aa...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Apr 22, 2008, at 7:31 AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>> * removed the tabs
>
> Doing Eclipse upgrades too often and losing preferences in the
> process... I'll patch that.

That's what a version controlled ~/.emacs.d directory is good for, it
even survived my migration from XEmacs to GNU Emacs 22 8-)

> What's the best way to submit patches BTW?  via Bugzilla?

I'd think so.  I've created a DBPatch Antlib "component" under Ant and
made notifications@ant the default assignee.

>> but wanted to see how you'd want to proceed.
>
> The plan is the following:
>
> * develop a few missing features, such as driver CLASSPATH handling

Don't you inherit that from Ant's <sql> task anyway?

> * work on a few workflow improvements
> * write the docs

sounds good.

> * write the tests

sounds even better ;-)

> * figure out how to release

Get the Ant community more involved would be an important point here.

Stefan

Re: Looking for home for DBPatch Ant task

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <aa...@apache.org>.
On Apr 22, 2008, at 7:31 AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> I've not created a trunk/tags structure for now since it may be a bit
> too much for a sandbox component.  We could easily restructir it
> later.

Excellent, thanks!

> * removed the @author tags - we don't use them in Ant

I will do that.

> * removed the tabs

Doing Eclipse upgrades too often and losing preferences in the
process... I'll patch that. What's the best way to submit patches BTW?
via Bugzilla?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008, Andrus Adamchik <aa...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> I just checked in the DBPatch structure compatible with other Antlib
> projects (generated using new Antlib build script). Here is the URL
> to copy (that would become
> "https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/sandbox/antlibs/dbpatch/trunk
> ") :

I've not created a trunk/tags structure for now since it may be a bit
too much for a sandbox component.  We could easily restructir it
later.

You might notice that I modified a few files (added license) and
renamed changes.xml to contributors.xml.  I would have done even more,
namely:

* removed the @author tags - we don't use them in Ant

* removed the tabs

but wanted to see how you'd want to proceed.

I've also added dbpatch to Gump.

Next step would be to add it to <http://ant.apache.org/antlibs/sandbox.html>

Stefan

Re: Looking for home for DBPatch Ant task

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <aa...@apache.org>.
Hi Stefan,

I just checked in the DBPatch structure compatible with other Antlib
projects (generated using new Antlib build script). Here is the URL to
copy (that would become "https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/sandbox/antlibs/dbpatch/trunk
") :

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cayenne/sandbox/dbpatch/

Thanks,
Andrus

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <aa...@apache.org>.
Hi Stefan,

On Apr 15, 2008, at 7:26 AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> Hi Andrus
>
> On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Andrus Adamchik <aa...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I developed an Ant task to maintain an evolving database schema via
>> a series of SQL scripts called "db patches". Now looking for an
>> advice from the Ant community on what would be a good home for such
>> task.
>
> We've developed a tendency of not adding any new tasks to Ant itself,
> optional or core, but rather create new Antlibs that can have separate
> release cycles.
>
> Those Antlibs require three PMC members to support them in order to
> get any release done.

Fair enough. I wasn't aware of the Antlibs subproject, but after some
digging through the site, I found what you are talking about.

> I assume that you are not looking for a place to dump your code but
> want to keep developing it.

Correct.

> Doing so as an Antlib as part of the Ant
> project would mean you'd need to convince at least one Ant committer
> to commit your patches as a proxy until you've convinced enough people
> around here to become a committer.  Do you want to go through that?

Yes, Ant is an Apache project, so I didn't expect anything else.

> The easier option for you would certainly be something like
> ant-contrib or a Sourceforge/Google Code/you name it project of your
> own, but I understand why you'd prefer to keep it at the ASF.

Yep.

> For now I can offer to be the proxy and create a sandbox Antlib from
> it, a simple svn copy and some restructuring to make it fit with the
> other Antlibs would be a start, but I'm not too sure how far we could
> - and you would want - to go with this setup.

Excellent. I do want it get this setup, but since moving things around
the repo is not very patch-friendly, maybe I'll align the structure of
the task project in Cayenne sandbox with one of the existing Antlibs,
like AntUnit, and then ask you to "svn cp".

Thanks
Andrus

Re: Looking for home for DBPatch Ant task

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
Hi Andrus

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Andrus Adamchik <aa...@apache.org> wrote:

> I developed an Ant task to maintain an evolving database schema via
> a series of SQL scripts called "db patches". Now looking for an
> advice from the Ant community on what would be a good home for such
> task.

We've developed a tendency of not adding any new tasks to Ant itself,
optional or core, but rather create new Antlibs that can have separate
release cycles.

Those Antlibs require three PMC members to support them in order to
get any release done.

I assume that you are not looking for a place to dump your code but
want to keep developing it.  Doing so as an Antlib as part of the Ant

Posted by ruel loehr <rl...@pointserve.com>.
I've also had to develop a homebaked solution to do the same.   +1 for
getting it into ant or at least hosting it somewhere.

Since ant-contrib is all but dead, is it time for a new "official"
ant-contrib project?