Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael Cardon <mi...@bendcable.com> on 2004/06/03 02:09:39 UTC

Tomcat 5 clustering

For the sake of this question, let me assume that I have an application
running on one instance of Tomcat that takes 10 seconds to complete a client
request.  If I cluster 10 machines together does it help with the
through-put, i.e. meaning it might take 1 second to complete the request
now, or does it just make the session redundant in case of failure.  Just
wondering about which setup would serve me the best and be the fastest for
our clients.

Thanks for any input on this.

Re: Tomcat 5 clustering

Posted by Michael Mehrle <mi...@datasaur.com>.
:-) Of course you won't get it down to 1 second - there is some overhead
associated with any type of clustering - 3 seconds would be a great goal. I
would also take a look at where your current performance issues are and try
to get as much as you can out of one Tomcat installation. Maybe you don't
have enough RAM installed, maybe you have other services running - the way
your app is written might be non-optimal, and there are a myriad of things
that can drag your box down. Simply throwing more hardware at it is not
always the best solution (a mixed approach might be what the doctor
ordered).

Just some general input to set the stage - others will be able to offer your
more detailed insight on what to do...

Michael