Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Joerg Heinrich <jh...@wol.de> on 2007/01/16 13:16:03 UTC

Can't create 3of9Barcode font metric file

Hello,
I want use a Barcode font to create barcodes in my documents, I've
started with
the example examples/fo/advanced/barcode.fo .
So I've got the 3of9barcode font file from:
http://www.geocities.com/keith_dimmock/
And I tried to create the font metric with following command:

java -cp
/opt/fop/build/fop.jar:/opt/fop/lib/avalon-framework-4.2.0.jar:/opt/fop/lib/commons-logging-1.0.4.jar:/opt/fop/lib/commons-io-1.1.jar
org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader -d k3.ttf k3.xml
TTF Reader for Apache FOP 0.93

Parsing font...
Reading k3.ttf...
Reading 10 dir tables
dir tables: [cmap, hhea, OS/2, maxp, head, glyf, hmtx, name, loca, post]
unit per em: 2048
Number of glyphs in font: 48
hhea.Ascender: 800 390
hhea.Descender: 0 0
Number of horizontal metrics: 2
Error while building XML font metrics file.
java.io.EOFException: Reached EOF, file size=5104 offset=5104
        at
org.apache.fop.fonts.truetype.FontFileReader.seekSet(FontFileReader.java:86)
        at
org.apache.fop.fonts.truetype.FontFileReader.seekAdd(FontFileReader.java:99)
        at
org.apache.fop.fonts.truetype.FontFileReader.skip(FontFileReader.java:109)
        at
org.apache.fop.fonts.truetype.TTFFile.readPostScript(TTFFile.java:854)
        at org.apache.fop.fonts.truetype.TTFFile.readFont(TTFFile.java:479)
        at org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader.loadTTF(TTFReader.java:206)
        at org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader.main(TTFReader.java:161)

If I try to use the metric file that's within the folder
examples/fo/advanced
I've got the following error:
Failed to read font metrics file /opt/fop/fonts/k3.xml
org.xml.sax.SAXException: Missing metrics-version attribute - please
regenerate the font metrics file with a more recent version of FOP

I'm using FOP Version 0.93

Can anyone help me?

--
Mit freundlichem Gruß
Jörg Heinrich

Am Gaswerk 3 | 27305 Bruchhausen-Vilsen
Telefon (04252) 399-54 | Fax (04252) 399-45
jh@wol.de | http://www.wol.de

Re: Can't create 3of9Barcode font metric file

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Daniel Noll wrote:

<snip/>

> Even if it had worked I would recommend against it personally as it
> dramatically increases processing times... I turned the option on here
> for ARIALUNI.TTF and it took 2.5 seconds to create a PDF file compared
> to 0.5 seconds.  You may as well have the XML file there since you have
> to go and manually add entries for the TTF files anyway.  If FOP one day
> starts picking up the TTF files which are installed on the computer
> without having to be told, the situation may change.

Well, its not surprising that FOP takes longer to render a single
document when the Font metrics are no available, it has to go and
generate them. But for subsequent documents I would expect the time to
be back to 0.5 second.

> As an added bonus, the resulting PDF wouldn't open in Adobe Reader
> anymore either, but that's probably one of these "may not yet work as
> expected" things. :-)

Uh Oh... sounds like a bug!

Chris

Re: Can't create 3of9Barcode font metric file

Posted by Daniel Noll <da...@nuix.com>.
Joerg Heinrich wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki schrieb:
>> With FOP 0.93 you can skip the step with the TTFReader and remove
>> "metrics-url" in your configuration file. I've just tested it with the
>> K3.ttf font and it works if you don't use a metrics file. Note: This is
>> a new feature in 0.93 and may not yet work as expected. Feedback on this
>> is welcome (positive and negative).
 >
> Hi Jeremias,
> Sorry, but this doesn't work. The TTFReader says: Can't open metric file.

Even if it had worked I would recommend against it personally as it
dramatically increases processing times... I turned the option on here
for ARIALUNI.TTF and it took 2.5 seconds to create a PDF file compared
to 0.5 seconds.  You may as well have the XML file there since you have
to go and manually add entries for the TTF files anyway.  If FOP one day
starts picking up the TTF files which are installed on the computer
without having to be told, the situation may change.

As an added bonus, the resulting PDF wouldn't open in Adobe Reader
anymore either, but that's probably one of these "may not yet work as
expected" things. :-)

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll

Nuix Pty Ltd

Re: Can't create 3of9Barcode font metric file

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Not your mistake, Joerg. It was a bug. I've fixed it shortly after you
raised it here: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&rev=496860
I wonder why we haven't seen this bug earlier since we actually have
K3.ttf in our distribution under the examples.

If you can use FOP Trunk (from SVN), you can get the K3.ttf font to work.
The alternative with FOP 0.93 is to use Barcode4J for Code39 barcodes.

On 30.01.2007 17:41:31 Chris Bowditch wrote:
> Joerg Heinrich wrote:
>
> > Hi Chris,
> > I've changed my FOP configuration file

> > then I started fop and got following error:
> >
> > Jan 30, 2007 4:59:51 PM org.apache.fop.fonts.truetype.TTFFile readFont
> > INFO: Number of glyphs in font: 48
> > Jan 30, 2007 4:59:52 PM org.apache.fop.fonts.LazyFont load
> > SEVERE: Failed to read font metrics file null
> > java.io.EOFException: Reached EOF, file size=5104 offset=5104
> >
> > Where's my mistake?
>
> I don't know. I was just repeating what Jeremias told you. Since
> Jeremias was the one who implemented the feature of not specifying the
> Font metrics, lets wait and see what he says on the matter.
>
> <snip/>
>
> Chris

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Can't create 3of9Barcode font metric file

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Joerg Heinrich <jh...@wol.de>.
Hi Chris,
I've changed my FOP configuration file

then I started fop and got following error:

Jan 30, 2007 4:59:51 PM org.apache.fop.fonts.truetype.TTFFile readFont
INFO: Number of glyphs in font: 48
Jan 30, 2007 4:59:52 PM org.apache.fop.fonts.LazyFont load
SEVERE: Failed to read font metrics file null
java.io.EOFException: Reached EOF, file size=5104 offset=5104

Where's my mistake?

Regards,
Joerg

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
With FOP 0.93 you can skip the step with the TTFReader and remove
"metrics-url" in your configuration file. I've just tested it with the
K3.ttf font and it works if you don't use a metrics file. Note: This is
a new feature in 0.93 and may not yet work as expected. Feedback on this
is welcome (positive and negative).

I'll check why the TTFReader stumbles over this file.

On 16.01.2007 13:16:03 Joerg Heinrich wrote:
> Hello,
> I want use a Barcode font to create barcodes in my documents, I've
> started with
> the example examples/fo/advanced/barcode.fo .
> So I've got the 3of9barcode font file from:
> http://www.geocities.com/keith_dimmock/
> And I tried to create the font metric with following command:
>
> java -cp
> /opt/fop/build/fop.jar:/opt/fop/lib/avalon-framework-4.2.0.jar:/opt/fop/lib/commons-logging-1.0.4.jar:/opt/fop/lib/commons-io-1.1.jar
> org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader -d k3.ttf k3.xml
> TTF Reader for Apache FOP 0.93
>
> Parsing font...
> Reading k3.ttf...
> Reading 10 dir tables
> dir tables: [cmap, hhea, OS/2, maxp, head, glyf, hmtx, name, loca, post]
> unit per em: 2048
> Number of glyphs in font: 48
> hhea.Ascender: 800 390
> hhea.Descender: 0 0
> Number of horizontal metrics: 2
> Error while building XML font metrics file.
> java.io.EOFException: Reached EOF, file size=5104 offset=5104
>         at
> org.apache.fop.fonts.truetype.FontFileReader.seekSet(FontFileReader.java:86)
>         at
> org.apache.fop.fonts.truetype.FontFileReader.seekAdd(FontFileReader.java:99)
>         at
> org.apache.fop.fonts.truetype.FontFileReader.skip(FontFileReader.java:109)
>         at
> org.apache.fop.fonts.truetype.TTFFile.readPostScript(TTFFile.java:854)
>         at org.apache.fop.fonts.truetype.TTFFile.readFont(TTFFile.java:479)
>         at org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader.loadTTF(TTFReader.java:206)
>         at org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader.main(TTFReader.java:161)
>
> If I try to use the metric file that's within the folder
> examples/fo/advanced
> I've got the following error:
> Failed to read font metrics file /opt/fop/fonts/k3.xml
> org.xml.sax.SAXException: Missing metrics-version attribute - please
> regenerate the font metrics file with a more recent version of FOP
>
> I'm using FOP Version 0.93
>
> Can anyone help me?
>
> --
> Mit freundlichem Gruß
> Jörg Heinrich
> Westermann GmbH
> media solutions
>
> Am Gaswerk 3 | 27305 Bruchhausen-Vilsen
> Telefon (04252) 399-54 | Fax (04252) 399-45
> jh@wol.de | http://www.wol.de

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Can't create 3of9Barcode font metric file

Posted by Joerg Heinrich <jh...@wol.de>.
Hi Adrian,
with other ttf fonts works fine.

Posted by Adrian Cumiskey <ad...@gmail.com>.