Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Rich Leick <rl...@globalcrossing.com> on 2001/02/23 18:48:30 UTC

Getting exception when I try to return an element type.

Can anyone out there help me with this.  I have installed apache,
tomcat, and soap running on a unix platform.  Everything works fine when
I try to call the following java method using soap:

public void SoapCall( org.w3c.dom.Element rootElement )

The call is made and things run great.  However, when I try to change
the method from void to:

public org.w3c.dom.Element SoapCall( org.w3c.dom.Element rootElement )
I get an exception that basically states it does not know how to
serialize org.w3c.dom.Element

Is there anything I need to do different in preparing to make this
call.  Right now all I basically do to prepare the call is:

Call call = new Call ();
call.setTargetObjectURI( "urn:soaptest" );
call.setMethodName( "SoapCall" );
call.setEncodingStyleURI( Constants.NS_URI_SOAP_ENC );
call.setParams( params );

Response resp = call.invoke( url, "" );

As I mentioned before, everything works great as long as I don't attempt
to return an element from the SoapCall
What am I missing?

As always, any insight is greatly apprecaited.

Thank you,
Rich