Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Lior Marantenboim <li...@bumeran.com> on 2004/10/21 16:57:27 UTC

Site config and per user whitelist

Hi everyone again

Right now I have a site wide configuration with a site wide whitelist. I
was wondering if, apart from this config, some users could have their
own config and use their own whitelists.

So those who don't have this config file will use the default one, and
those who do, use theirs.

Thanks

Lior

Re: [OT] Email Servers

Posted by Ralf Hildebrandt <Ra...@charite.de>.
* Jeffrey Lee <je...@reflex8.com>:
> The email server I am using now has some unwelcomed price changes
> happening soon and I would like to switch to another server. I would
> like something that works well with SA and possibly ClamAV. The server
> would require pop, imap, and webmail. If someone could suggest other
> solutions please do.

We use postfix, amavisd-new with clamav, courier-imap (does pop too)
and SquirrelMail as webmail.

--
Ralf Hildebrandt (i.A. des IT-Zentrum)          Ralf.Hildebrandt@charite.de
Charite - Universitätsmedizin Berlin            Tel.  +49 (0)30-450 570-155

Re: [OT] Email Servers

Posted by Daniel Bird <db...@sghms.ac.uk>.
>On Thursday 21 October 2004 13:59, Jeffrey Lee wrote:
>

>>The email server I am using now has some unwelcomed price changes
>>happening soon and I would like to switch to another server. I would
>>like something that works well with SA and possibly ClamAV. The server
>>would require pop, imap, and webmail. If someone could suggest other
>>solutions please do.

We use SunONE messaging server. SpamAssassin and Virus scanning
(MailScanner) done at the edge on mailhubs running RHEL3 and exim. Works
really well, although ClamAV and SA can be integrated into Messaging
Server if wanted via the SMTP channels..

Dan

>>Thanks,
>>Jeffrey Lee

believed to be clean.

Re: [OT] Email Servers

Posted by Joe Croft <jo...@croftj.net>.
Communigate Pro from Stalker software has treated my real well over the last 3
years.

-joe

Re: [OT] Email Servers

Posted by Rick Macdougall <ri...@nougen.com>.

Jeffrey Lee wrote:
> The email server I am using now has some unwelcomed price changes
> happening soon and I would like to switch to another server. I would
> like something that works well with SA and possibly ClamAV. The server
> would require pop, imap, and webmail. If someone could suggest other
> solutions please do.

Hi,

I use qmail/vpopmail on a variety of client servers.  Works great with
SA and Clam plus it has the bonus of a mature virtual domain hosting web
interface.

Supports all the usual imap, pop3, smtp, smtp auth etc etc.

Regards,

Rick

Re: [OT] Email Servers

Posted by Sahil Tandon <sa...@hamla.org>.
Quoting Jeffrey Lee <je...@reflex8.com>:

> The email server I am using now has some unwelcomed price changes
> happening soon and I would like to switch to another server. I would
> like something that works well with SA and possibly ClamAV. The server
> would require pop, imap, and webmail. If someone could suggest other
> solutions please do.

On the MTA level, we use Postfix[1] in conjunction with amavisd-new[2] (which
hands off messages to ClamAV and SA).  For IMAP and POP, we use UW IMAP[3];
webmail is served via IMP[4].

Good luck.

--
Sahil Tandon

[1] http://www.postfix.org
[2] http://freshmeat.net/projects/amavisd-new/
[3] http://www.washington.edu/imap/
[4] http://www.horde.org/imp/

Re: [OT] Email Servers

Posted by Mike Burger <mb...@bubbanfriends.org>.
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Jeffrey Lee wrote:

> The email server I am using now has some unwelcomed price changes
> happening soon and I would like to switch to another server. I would
> like something that works well with SA and possibly ClamAV. The server
> would require pop, imap, and webmail. If someone could suggest other
> solutions please do.

A linux box running Postfix, uw-imap/courier imap/whatever is coming with
the Fedora distribution (I forget the package name, now), and Squirrelmail
should suit your needs.  Clam-AV should work...personally, I'm using
AmavisD with H+BEDV's AntiVir.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit
message to:

site-update-request@bubbanfriends.org

with a message of:

subscribe

Re: [OT] Email Servers

Posted by kaiser suse <ei...@mainphrame.com>.
FWIW, Suse linux pro 9.1 is a great starting point for me, as it ships
with postfix, spamassassin, amavisd, and clamav, and saslauth, and working
well together - I merely substituted dovecot as the imap/pop3 server,
updated spamassassin to 3.0 and added maia mailguard for quarantine
management. Maia is especially nice as it adds the missing piece.

The customers are quite happy with it.

Joe

RE: [OT] Email Servers

Posted by kaiser suse <ei...@mainphrame.com>.
Andrew Ott said:

> Amavisd-new launches spamassasin in perl form rather then use spamd.

This is true, but amavisd does load the perl spamassassin code into memory
once at startup, so it's just as fast as spamd.

> The fedora core machines running amavisd-new are both 2.4 dual xeons with
> 4gb of memory
> Amavisd-new virus scanning and spam scanning with spamassasin is using
> about
> 18% cpu, and for everything we have about 1.8gb of memory in use, but that
> includes a virtual workspace for amavisd-new, which makes it much faster
> then doing it on disk.

Ah, excellent idea...

> We average a 1.12 load on the servers.  We are
> also
> using a raid 10 array of 4 ultra 320 scsi disks for faster write for the
> sendmail queues.

Check, that makes good sense.

RE: [OT] Email Servers

Posted by Andrew Ott <ao...@actcom.net>.
Amavisd-new launches spamassasin in perl form rather then use spamd.

The fedora core machines running amavisd-new are both 2.4 dual xeons with
4gb of memory
Amavisd-new virus scanning and spam scanning with spamassasin is using about
18% cpu, and for everything we have about 1.8gb of memory in use, but that
includes a virtual workspace for amavisd-new, which makes it much faster
then doing it on disk.  We average a 1.12 load on the servers.  We are also

RE: [OT] Email Servers

Posted by email builder <em...@yahoo.com>.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

RE: [OT] Email Servers

Posted by Andrew Ott <ao...@actcom.net>.
We are using 2 fedora core 2 machines running dual sendmail with
amavisd-new, spamassassin 3.0, clamav, delivered to a database using dbmail,
all with individual user preferences. For frontend machines.  And 2 fedora
core 2 machines running sendmail, dbmail-imapd and dbmail-pop3d, along with
the horde web mail system for full webmail, calendar, address book, and
task-list functions.

The database runs on a redhat es3 machine running mysql 4 with innodb
databases.

Handles about 120,000 messages a day, with no problems.  And best of all
other then redhat es3 all of it is free software.

We will also probably install Maia Mailguard after the patch for the new
amavisd-new becomes available.  This will allow us to quarantine items and
allow each one of our users to view any quarantine items and have them
delivered to their inbox if they really want them.

Andrew Ott

[OT] Email Servers

Re: Site config and per user whitelist

Posted by Lior Marantenboim <li...@bumeran.com>.