Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Jun Yang <ju...@cisco.com> on 2003/12/01 03:43:57 UTC

Re: Service and Component Frameworks

Hi BaTien,

Your questions are very interesting!  Thanks for asking them.  My
comments are below.

BaTien Duong wrote:

> Jun Yang wrote:
>
> Here are links to the Cornerstone docs.  Warning: they may not be
> light reading material and nevertheless are food for thought.
>
> Jetspeed Cornerstone Concepts
> http://www.bluesunrise.com/jetspeed-docs/cornerstone-concepts.pdf
>
> Jetspeed Cornerstone Presentation
> http://www.bluesunrise.com/jetspeed-docs/CornerstoneFramework2.pdf (PDF)
> http://www.bluesunrise.com/jetspeed-docs/CornerstoneFramework2.ppt
> (PowerPoint)
>
> Any comments and questions are welcome.  Another document "Jetspeed
> Cornerstone Sample Code" will follow soon with runnable demo package.
>
> Jun
>
> Hello Jun:
>
> J2-Cornerstone is very interesting. Two questions:
>    1) Have you thought of making HiveMind an implementation variant of
> j2-cornerstone with HiveMind service extend Cornerstone BaseService.
> Then make portlet as a HiveMind service.

Yes, Cornerstone is can implement other service frameworks and give them
complete configurability (in 4 dimensions: components, relationships,
control flows and preservation of customization across upgrades).  Yes,
HiveMind services can be implemented either as Cornerstone services (by
extending BaseService) or as completely different services (by
implementing e.g. a HiveMindServiceManager that creates HiveMind
services).  And better yet, Cornerstone services and HiveMind servivces
can coexist without interfering each other.  This shows how general
Cornerstone is (with a high abstraction level).  I don't know if the
reverse (implementing Cornerstone with HiveMind) can be done or not.

>    2) Have you thought of making Commons-Chain as a cornerstone
> ServiceController.

Sure.  That would be a great example of how Cornerstone allows you to
implement your own service controllers, however different it may be.

> Any thought on the combining J2-Cornerstone + HiveMind + Commons-Chain?

We can certainly look into it.  However, I think different frameworks
are designed for different purposes and thus each has its own reason of
existence.

> BaTien
> DBGROUPS

Jun

Re: Service and Component Frameworks

Posted by Jun Yang <ju...@cisco.com>.
BaTien Duong wrote:

> Jun Yang wrote:
>
>> Hi BaTien,
>>
>> Your questions are very interesting!  Thanks for asking them.  My
>> comments are below.
>>
>> BaTien Duong wrote:
>>
>>> Jun Yang wrote:
>>>
>>> Here are links to the Cornerstone docs.  Warning: they may not be
>>> light reading material and nevertheless are food for thought.
>>>
>>> Jetspeed Cornerstone Concepts
>>> http://www.bluesunrise.com/jetspeed-docs/cornerstone-concepts.pdf
>>>
>>> Jetspeed Cornerstone Presentation
>>> http://www.bluesunrise.com/jetspeed-docs/CornerstoneFramework2.pdf
>>> (PDF)
>>> http://www.bluesunrise.com/jetspeed-docs/CornerstoneFramework2.ppt
>>> (PowerPoint)
>>>
>>> Any comments and questions are welcome.  Another document "Jetspeed
>>> Cornerstone Sample Code" will follow soon with runnable demo package.
>>>
>>> Jun
>>>
>>> Hello Jun:
>>>
>>> J2-Cornerstone is very interesting. Two questions:
>>>    1) Have you thought of making HiveMind an implementation variant
>>> of j2-cornerstone with HiveMind service extend Cornerstone BaseService.
>>

>> Yes, Cornerstone is can implement other service frameworks and give
>> them complete configurability (in 4 dimensions: components,
>> relationships, control flows and preservation of customization across
>> upgrades).  Yes, HiveMind services can be implemented either as
>> Cornerstone services (by extending BaseService) or as completely
>> different services (by implementing e.g. a HiveMindServiceManager
>> that creates HiveMind services).  And better yet, Cornerstone
>> services and HiveMind servivces can coexist without interfering each
>> other.  This shows how general Cornerstone is (with a high
>> abstraction level).  I don't know if the reverse (implementing
>> Cornerstone with HiveMind) can be done or not.
>

> That is why I find J2-Cornerstone is interesting and will spend some
> time on it. Your vision of mass customization and component assembling
> is very real. I am 100% in it.

I am very excited that you got that part.  It's not an easy presentation
to read :).  Cornerstone was designed exactly for that.

Jun

Posted by BaTien Duong <ba...@dbgroups.com>.