Posted to user@geode.apache.org by William Hodges via user <us...@geode.apache.org> on 2022/10/25 15:03:35 UTC

gradle build from source give scm error

Hello,

I'm trying to get the Geode source into my Eclipse environment by building it using Gradle. I downloaded the source files from Github and then ran "gradlew.bat build" from Geode's root directory. I get the following error:

Build file 'C:\workspaces\geode1.15.0\geode-rel-v1.15.0\build.gradle' line: 104

* What went wrong:
A problem occurred evaluating project ':geode-core'.
> Could not create task ':geode-core:createVersionPropertiesFile'.
   > Could not create task ':writeBuildInfo'.
      > Cannot get SCM information when neither git nor source distribution is available

After looking at the build.gradle file, it appears to me that the reason for the error is that it looks for the "build/.buildinfo file but the "build" directory doesn't exist. What am I doing wrong?

William Hodges

Re: gradle build from source give scm error

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
I guess you downloaded the the source from GitHub here:
    * https://github.com/apache/geode/releases/tag/rel%2Fv1.15.1

That is missing the *.buildinfo* file (in the root directory, not in the
build directory) which is a generated file. If you download the source
release from the link below it does include that file:
    * https://geode.apache.org/releases/

However that is missing the windows  *gradlew.bat* file and also the
*gradle\wrapper\gradle-wrapper.jar*, so you will need to add those.

The simplest solution is to add the *.buildinfo* file in the root directory
with the following entries (from 1.15.1 release):

Source-Date=2022-10-10 08\:14\:54 +0100
Source-Revision=018f2b4a8531939ad7500130bb37d6bae73455cf
Source-Repository=develop

Otherwise you could checkout the source from GitHub

Niall